.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Writers Strike Round-Up

First and foremost, I must give kudos to the showrunners, who have agreed to show solidarity with each other and with their writers despite threatened lawsuits from the networks. I'm not sure whether those breach of contract lawsuits have any grounds or not, but I give these producers great respect for standing their ground in the face of some very scary prospects.

Now, on Day 4 of the strike, it seems that everyone is trying to come up with creative solutions. Apparently our "esteemed governor" is getting involved. Nikki Finke last night suggested getting the agencies involved as negotiators, due to their experience, knowledge and relevant interest, as well as having A-listers pressure the AMPTP. Ed Decter suggests the interesting albeit not-very-likely solution of urging Google to come to the rescue. There is also a petition on the web, that is gathering tremendous support very rapidly (to judge this, I was #2955 at 3:59 PM PST today -- see where it is at now). I encourage you all to sign it.

Okay, well let me suggest my own only-partially-tongue-in-cheek, and ridiculously unlikely solution. Starbucks. They have to be losing lots of money with screenwriters not writing, so it would be in their interests to get this strike resolved. And they have good enough business sense to convince millions of Americans that bad coffee is worth paying a lot for. Sounds like something the AMPTP could relate to!

What else? My plan was totally to attend the picket/rally at Fox tomorrow morning, but I just got word of a eulogy/funeral I need to attend tomorrow morning. Not a relative or close friend, but an amazing man who lived a tremendously full and heroic life and who attended my synagogue. I owe it to him to be there, so I'm not 100% sure if I will make it to Fox as well. And if I do, I have no idea what time I will get there. Just wanted to let you know. Regardless, I encourage you all to attend if you can!

You've heard about all the food and drinks and snacks that well-wishers are donating at picket sites? Well don't worry about your favorite writers getting fat(ter). I've seen varying quotes around the blogosphere from pedometer-wearing picketers indicating that they walked between 4 and 9+ miles in a single shift! (I think the discrepant lengths stem from the percentage of time spent on the picket lines, and what locations they were at.) So now you can not only support the guild and writers, you can also get into shape at the same time!

Okay, so I think that's it for now.

Tags: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What could be more pathetic than a bunch of Hollywood types protesting their pay?

People that support them.

6:06 AM  
Blogger None said...

What could be more pathetic than Hollywood types (and say, what is a Hollywood type anyway?) protesting their pay (pay?) and having people support them in their efforts to achieve a fair and equitable contract?

Oh, I dunno, maybe uninformed anonymous morons making comments about something they know nothing about?

6:12 AM  
Blogger Leif Smart said...

I keep hearing about people dropping off coffee to the picketers so I wouldn't be surprised if Starbucks is having a boom at the moment.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Hey, you know what guys? I've changed my mind. After reading Anon's comment up there, I've realized how foolish I am and am rectifying the errors of my ways.

Forget it. I don't support the writers or the WGA in the least. The AMPTP must be right.

Gee, I feel less pathetic now!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home