.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Musically Memetic

I actually have a few posts I want to put up today, working around a manuscript read, and checking up on my NY Jets (who, miracle of miracles, might actually win a game). But figure I'll start with a brief one, a response to the music meme that's been going around, and with which Shawna tagged me. First, the instructions quoted from her:

Find a song that inspires you to write something, whether it gives you an idea for a script or just puts you into a better frame of mind. AND/OR (don't you love choices) peek into the lyrics and find a stanza that sums up the theme of whatever script you're working on. It's quite uncanny how the two circumstances go together.

If possible, post a video of the song to really get people into the mood. (Yep, I'm aware of the irony of using Internet clips during the pissing contest. I like irony as much as bitchiness.)

At first I was going to choose a different song, from an indie anti-folk artist out of Brooklyn, but there is no video available, and he no longer performs. So instead I went with an old standby for me, and I think one that really gets at my attitude's essence. It doesn't relate directly to any single project I'm working on, but rather creates an optimistic mood overall, one which helps me keep writing all the time.

I am referring to one of my favorite Bob Marley tunes, "Coming in From the Cold." (By the way, check that link -- it is SO cute.) It is not one of his most famous tunes, but it has always struck a chord in me, ever since I first heard it. I own the album on vinyl, I have many different performance versions downloaded, etc. First, a few lyrics:

It's you, it's you, it's you I'm talkin' to.
Well, you (it's you), you (it's you), you I'm talking to now.
Why do you look so sad and forsaken?
When one door is closed, don't you know, another is open?

Would you let the system make you kill your brotherman?
No, Dread, no!
Would you make the system make you kill your brotherman?
No, Dread, no!
Would you make the system get on top of your head again?
No, Dread, no!
Well, the biggest man you ever did see, was once a baby.

That last line kind of reminds me of that quote I recently posted that said that every produced screenwriter has at one time never sold a screenplay.

Alright, here's some video. I'm actually going to post two versions. The first is a bit more traditional, a concert performance (though the camera spends too much time filming the audience that we can't see in this version anyway). The other one has a lot more soul and is a bit more rough and non-traditional. Part of a performance during an interview apparently. Enjoy!





As for who I'm tagging, how about Stephen, Bill, Jeremy, Scoopy, and Christina.

Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rhys said...

Awesome! I love that last line too. Quite encouraging words to live by.

7:27 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Didn't see that one coming. Cool.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home