.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I've Made My Decision

I've thought it over, and I'm 95% sure that I will be joining the picket line at Fox Studios tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. Let me briefly tell you why.

In general, I am not a big union guy. I'm not a real anti-union guy either, but I usually don't pay much mind to pickets. I've crossed lines before, but I'm also not the guy cursing out the picketers, spewing vitriol. Basically, my feelings on pickets are mixed and complex.

But to me, my decision is not about how I feel about picket lines as a concept. To me, this is about showing gratitude. I know that a lot of writers (and others) are sacrificing a lot in the hopes of making gains for the future, a future that I hope (and believe) will affect me directly. I am not a guild member currently, but I hope to be one in the not too distant future. And so, I believe that any gains the WGA earns now will benefit me down the road.

So I feel the need to thank the current members for going to bat for me, even if they don't know who I am. Even if they may be self-motivated more than altruistic. And the best way that I can think of to show my thanks is through a showing of solidarity.

If any of you feel similarly, I encourage you to follow suit, and join those lines as well. They had a great showing today, but as the strike wears on, those numbers and the spirits of those on the lines are likely to drop. If you would like to join me in person at Fox tomorrow, contact me directly. And if not, consider joining any of the myriad other locations. And if you head to Fox, I'll be the one in the red shirt. (Kidding!)

UPDATE: Like Josh (in the comments below), it is not looking like I will make it there today. But hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

A friend and I may go to Fox later in the week around lunch, but I can't do it today, unfortunately.

6:54 PM  
Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Yes, showing solidarity with the writers IS about gratitude. God bless you for joining your brethren, Fun Joel, your heart's in the right place.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home