.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Friday, November 09, 2007

A-Listers?

Admittedly, I have only been to one strike location, but I've also been reading a lot of strike coverage on the web. And so I have one question (and no, it is not an accusation -- just information gathering):

Where are all the A-List feature writers? True, I saw Zaillian (I think), and I know John August has been out at Paramount. And maybe I'll see a bunch at Fox today.

But with all of the coverage I've been seeing, there have been tons of TV showrunners (stars in that world) and SAG stars, but I've seen very few pictures of the bigger feature writers. I'm not going to list the names of the types of people I'm referring to, but I really do wonder. For those of you who have been out, or noticed the coverage, please tell me I'm just overlooking this, or that it is just spotty coverage on the blogs. If you've seen some big-name feature screenwriters on the lines (and of course I use the term "big-name" in a relative sense), post about it in the comments, please.

Thanks!

Tags: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I think the problem might be that even I wouldn't recognize most A-list writers, even if they bit me on the ass.

Though I can confirm that Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds) and Josh Olson (A History of Violence) have been picketing at Warner Bros all week.

8:44 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Wondering that myself. Scott, take a camera.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better question: Where's the DGA?

9:40 PM  
Blogger Lucy V said...

I second Scott, tho maybe not his ass. Writers never look like you imagine and lots are very secretive. Like me. Though sadly I'm not an A Lister.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

You guys are probably right. I don't know how many I'd recognize. But I did think that the sites around the web (Deadline H'wood, United H'wood, etc) would recognize them and cover them. Hell, I wouldn't recognize all those showrunners they've been parading around, but someone does!

Still, I saw some cool people out at Fox today, and speaking to someone, he told me he saw Gaghan and, get this, Robert Towne (!) at Sony this week.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Oh, and lizriz -- I think there is no surprise that the DGA is absent. We're not really their favorite people, and we actually have something to fear if this isn't settled by the time they start negotiating in January.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken Levine has been writing about picketing all week, and he talks about seeing Paul Haggis, so there's a couple... it's probably that newspapers find it more interesting to cover the cast of the Office picketing than writers that John Q. Public wouldn't recognize.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cuz Nora Ephron is so recognizable. Carrie Fisher must be in disguise.

8:32 AM  
Blogger freeepeace said...

Wow. Wish I were home already. Keep us posted.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Haggis at Sony, picketing and smoking. And that hack Chris Soth.

Both bit me on the ass.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home