.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Exploding Scribosphere

When I began this blog back in late May, I had done some searching to find the other screenwriting blogs out there. I found a few big ones -- including JohnAugust.com and The Artful Writer -- and a handful of others (hard to remember the order I've found blogs in) that were written by people at more or less the same level of experience that I had. I decided to dive in with eyes open, and start attempting to impart some of my supposed wisdom, or at least my hopefully entertaining and mildly enlightening observations and experiences.

Since then, I've gradually discovered more and more blogs in the screenwriting neck of the blogosphere (the so-called scribosphere). I even happily organized a meet-up exclusively for the screenwriter/bloggers out here, and got to meet a number of my fabu peers. Some of them have slowly found their way into my blogroll, but that was long overdue for an updating.

So I finally did it. First off, you'll notice a few new categories. One is for Screenwriting Podcasts. Even though I don't really listen to any of them, I still have heard wonderful things about these, and I wanted to give y'all a heads up on 'em, if you didn't already know about them. Never let it be said that I don't look out for my readership! I also added a new category called "The Assistants," specifically for those bloggers who work as assistants and readers. These people are my kindred spirits in many ways, since I'm a reader, so I set them off in solidarity with them for their struggles.

I also removed the link for Hollywood Hack (though here it still is) since he has stopped publishing that anonymous blog. If it ever starts up again, I'll re-add it!

By the way, if you feel a blog is miscategorized, please let em know. Also, if you aren't on there, let me know as well. I've kept my links exclusive to writing, and there are a few writers' blogs that I haven't included, in the hopes that I could encourage them to post more frequently! So I might know about your blog, but didn't yet include it. I'll reevaluate next time around.

Okay, so a quick rundown of the new links (from top to bottom as they appear in the blogroll currently, though that's always subject to change):

Some of these blogs predated mine, and I didn't know about them, others started relatively concurrent to mine, but the bulk have started up since then. Which just points to the ever-expansion of the scribosphere! Welcome to you all! I look forward to more interactions, and a building community!

Tags: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Cunningham said...

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the link up. Rest assured, when I get off my ass soon and reorganize my little pulpy domain, you will be represented.

I'm just too much of a klutz and it takes me forever to rewrite those small lines of html code. It took me months to delete those little lines off my archive section.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Thanks much. If you ever have another gathering, send up a flare and I'll drag my butt over there.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would dearly love to be including in your blogroll, if possible - I'd probably fit best under writers, artists and others - let me know and thanks -

7:37 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

No worries Josh -- I actually MEANT to add you and simply forgot. Then after I posted this I said to myself, "Damn, forgot to add the Dojo!"

See, that's what happens when you don't have an RSS feed! ;-)

8:36 PM  
Blogger screamwriter said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the shout-out!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Joel - I know, I know, I'm trying to get my blog updated so I have all sorts of that fun stuff - it's in the works, blogroll, posts, everything - I want to be one of the cool kids, too!;)

2:26 AM  
Blogger ScriptWeaver said...

Hey Joel--

Thought I'd walk on over since you were kind enough to visit and post on mine! And as you saw (or maybe you didn't), I already had a link to yours. Thanks for the support!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, I don't want to sound like an a**hole, but the fact is, by playing the "link" game (usually starting at Artfulwriter.com), I have found that there are WAY too many blogs out there written by "aspiring" screenwriters.

Come on...aren't we all? Is there really a need for so many blogs written by (to be generous) up and comers who haven't sold anything yet? The real pros, like Friedman and Mazin, have great blogs with great ancedotes and great advice...

...but what can the 25th "aspiring" writer really tell me?

Anyway, just my random and worthless thoughts. No offense meant to anyone....I still read a lot of those blogs and enjoy them...but there are so many of them...it just seems like some people should wait until they actually have something real to say.

11:56 AM  
Blogger screamwriter said...

I'll be the first to raise my hand and say, "I have no profound statements to make about screenwriting nor have I been on the mountain top and came down with great widsom written on some tablets. I blog mostly as a way to work through my sh**. Don't get me wrong, I like the thought of having an audience waiting with baited breath for my next post (I said thought not reality), but it's not *that* serious to me. Anyway, no offense taken.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say, "no offense" anonymous, but if that's what you truly mean, why post anonymously? Why not put your name behind your words?

That's what those of us who blog do, and whether or not any or all of our words have weight can only be judged by reading the words, not necessarily by our professional credits - my absolute favorite screenwriter blogs are comprised of three "pro monkeys" and three "spec monkeys" (Fun Joel, you're one of those) and it's because of their language, point of view, humor and what I get out of reading them, not their credits.

Quite a few bloggers (like myself) don't only blog about screenwriting (I'm primarily a playwright and blog only in part about that world) but about a variety of interests (see Kung Fu Monkey on politics, video games and comics) and get visits for the quality of their words, nothing more, nothing less.

Fun Joel posted links out of the sites he enjoys, what's wrong with that? It's like listing someone's favorite ball players, you don't have to agree, but it's his site and, may I add, he puts his name to it.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Hey, it's all good. Anon, I'm not offended. Look, here's my thought process. I believe I've got some things to say that can help people out, and hopefully, people will want to read them (I think they do). And I don't think you were taking a potshot at me in particular, btw.

At the same time, I'll say that I believe I can learn something from almost anyone. That's what life, in general, is about. Now, that being said, there's only so much time in the day, and of that time, only so little of it should/can be spent reading blogs. So choosing and narrowing is something we will all do. And that may largely be based on how frequently someone says something that we find insightful, enlightening, or entertaining. But what connects with me, might not connect with you. And it isn't like I read all of these blogs "religiously" as it were. But I do think they all are worthwhile for someone out there, and I've gotten benefit of some degree from each. That's why I throw em out there. So that maybe you or someone else might also find some reason to read them.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home