.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Weekend Wrap-up

A busy weekend with lots of fun stuff for me. I got some work done on Hell on Wheels, though not as much as I'd like. No surprise there, with the fun going on, but it is what it is. Anyway, the weekend's not over yet -- I still have tonight and tomorrow A.M. (in my book, the weekend lasts until I have to start working). So let me catch you up on a few screenwriting-related things this weekend.

Earlier today, I had lunch with a friend of mine who was visiting from New York City. What does that have to do with screenwriting, you ask? Good question! Watch this sleight of hand. So we went to a restaurant called The Milky Way, which happens to be owned by Steven Spielberg's mother. On our way out, my buddy pointed out a director's chair from the movie War of the Worlds. At which point, I mentioned to him... this new blog. Yep, pro screenwriter Josh Friedman has started "I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing." Among his first posts he has a two-parter about his experiences fighting for (and winning) the co-writing credit he deserved writing WotW. Didn't see that one coming, didja? Okay, I know that anyone popping around the scribosphere already knows about this new blog, but at least I found a fresh way of mentioning it!

Anyway, after a short break following lunch, I made my way over to the Avalon Hotel for the Screenwriter/Blogger Gathering I organized. Was really nice. I think we had 9 or 10 people there. Let's see... Making their appearances were Gary from the Screenwriter's Podcast, Warren from Screenwriting Life, Erik from The Realm of the American Knight along with his friend Ingrid, Bill from Disc/ontent and his producer friend Roy, Emily of E.B. Langton, and Neil from Citizen of the Month. I think that was it, and if I forgot anybody, I'm really sorry! We had lots of interesting conversation, and some fun drinks, etc. Hopefully we'll do this again soon, and get others out. And maybe I'll also arrange a get together for us to meet some of the non-bloggers as well.

Anyhow, back to writing now, and looking forward to getting back to the meat and potatoes blogging soon!

Tags: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Cunningham said...

I had a good time Joel, Thanks! I'll be posting the "real" story over on Disc/ontent. Remember, I have pictures!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Looking forward to reading it... and the pictures!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Erik M. said...

Had a great time Joel, thanks for organizing it.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

I wasn't there, because I don't live in California, but I did want to comment on your Blog.

First of all - thanks for the inspiration to work on my own writing.

Nice insights as well.

Take care - Ben O.

http://everyothernamehasbeentaken.blogspot.com/

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kidsis said...

So sorry I wasn't there, guys! Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting you all soon.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Good to meet you too, Amer Knight! Sorry you couldn't make it Sis -- some other time, hopefully. Ben -- cute address for the blog, and welcome. Write on.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Grubber said...

Looks like you had a good time Joel, well done for organising it.
cheers
Dave.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Shawna said...

I heard there were monkeys and someone got naked in a pool!

Or was that Hugh Hefner's party...I always get you guys mixed up...

6:08 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Cat & Fiddle Meetup 2 needs to happen soon.

Also: beer is good.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Cunningham said...

Suggestions for next locale:

BEAUTY BAR
BIG WANG'S
GOLDFINGERS (especially good for those of us with a jones for 80's music)
CAT & FIDDLE (agree with Justin above)
ACE OF CLUBS
CAFE 66
CINESPACE

12:11 AM  
Blogger Matthew Reynolds said...

Wish I coulda made it. Long ways from Chicago tho'

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite, Joel. Just meeting such a great group of committed writers really inspired me to stop blogging so much and write something for real.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home