.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Brief Question...

So, I spent much of today, after I got over my anger at Blogger from this morning, dealing with another irritating computer issue. My Internet inexplicably went down, and tech support (somewhere in India, I believe) spent about an hour with me and then told me they had no idea what to do. Oddly enough, it started working again without warning another couple of hours later. But this all set me back on my article, so yes, I'm still working on it. Thus, my post on The Constant Gardener will still have to wait.

But I did want to post briefly to ask an irrelevant question that popped into my head. We always here of talentless writers being described as "hacks." But what is the origin of that term? I'm sure I could dig it up somewhere on the 'net, but I'm too lazy at the moment, and I have other things to do (see above). Besides, who knows if my web access will hold up long enough for me to find the answer! So if you know, enlighten us, please.

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kira Snyder said...

I understand it derives from "hackney," which carries the original meaning of a horse or carriage for hire. As a pejorative for a mercenary pen, it goes back a couple of hundred years.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it referred to hacking it out on a typewriter?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks Kira! And a good site!

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home