.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Expo 6 Announcement

Astute screenwriters out there may have noticed that the schedules for Screenwriting Expo 6 have been posted. I was waiting to post about this, because there was a drop of tweaking I needed to do with my schedule, but now that that has been accomplished, I'm pleased to announce that I will once again be presenting seminars at this year's Screenwriting Expo.

To recap my previous involvement, I first attended Expo as a participant in 2004 (Expo 3). I enjoyed it immensely and learned a lot, as well as meeting lots of great people, and making contacts, etc. In the following two years, I presented the same two seminars at Expos 4 and 5. I am honored to have been named a "Star Speaker" for both of those years, meaning that my seminars were rated very highly by those who attended them.

At this upcoming Expo, on October 24-28, 2007, I will be expanding my presentations. I will be again presenting the two seminars I've given previously: "Writing to be Read" and "Verbalizing the Visual." In the former, I review specific scripts that I have given a PASS rating, as a reader, and explore the complex reasons they received that rating, in the hope of helping you get into a reader's mind. In "Verbalizing the Visual" I go through excerpts of well-known scripts to highlight scenes that were primarily visual in nature, and learn numerous techniques by which the screenwriters translated those visual scenes into verbal descriptions. This seminar in particular has been a very popular one for me in years past.

The two new seminars I will be adding this year build on those. One is a "Verbalizing the Visual Workshop" for those who have taken the first seminar. In it, we will create scenes from scratch, using the techniques we've learned. Then we will review them as a group. The other is called "Effective Use of Flashbacks and Voiceovers." In that seminar I will approach these two oft-maligned tools, looking at numerous screenplay and video excerpts that used these techniques well or poorly, identifying the differences.

Complete descriptions of all my seminars can be found here.

I would love to see many of you at those seminars! I'm also planning to throw yet another "Expo Scribosphere Gathering" which I hope will be better attended than last year's drinkfest. As it gets closer, I'll get details out to you. Let me know if you're interested in joining! It is also possible that I might have some other things going on during Expo, but I'll fill you all in if and when I know more.

Be aware that registration prices for Expo go up significantly ($50) after September 14th. But I'll also say that I'm hoping to get a discount code for y'all in the not too distant future.

Tags: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Both your Expo classes sound AWESOME, Funjoel. I'm especially interested in "Effective Use of Flashbacks and Voiceovers," as in my current spec I'm a couple flashbacks to add character depth.

But I'm not going to make it down to L.A. this year for the expo. Any chance I can catch your class on video or podcast?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

4:26 AM  
Blogger Emily Blake said...

Joel's class is a good one. I sat in on it last year.

I think it's safe to say they aren't going to hire me like I'd hoped. But I still plan to volunteer and hopefully will get the same job I had last year. So I'll be there helping out. You have my cell phone. Ring it in a time of crisis or if you need a bottle of water.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be at Expo and hope to catch "Verbalizing the Visual Workshop". Will watch out for updates about the gathering and hope to join you there.

Cheers,

Pamela from Nova Scotia

3:32 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

E.C. -- no plans at the moment for a video or podcast, but who knows what will happen.

Emily -- Thanks so much for the compliment! :-)

Pamela -- I think I need to do a better job of clarifying, but the workshop is really for those who have taken the Verbalizing the Visual class, during this Expo or a previous one. I hope you can either make the class, or both!

6:50 PM  
Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Emily, you do know that the female assistant wears a skimpy cocktail dresses, and has to the ability to pull a rabbit out of a top hat, don't you?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

4:16 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

hey man,

love the blog. what happened to the mullet you were sporting during the jet playoff game last year?

hope to get to both seminars!

Mike

7:13 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks Mike! Uh, what mullet? I never had a mullet! Long hair, yes. Mullet, no. :-)

Anyway, I cut it about 6 months ago.

(BTW, which Mike is this? Which Jets playoff game? I forget!)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Haha. We just met in the bar after the sunday sessions at the expo and were watching the game together last year. It wasn't the playoffs actually.

See you at the expo!

Mike

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home