.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

And Speaking of Ensemble Films...

This third consecutive post on the ensemble film, each of a different variety, is almost feeling like an ensemble post! Different sides to the same thematic material.

Anyway, last night I attended a free screening of The Ten, the new comedy by David Wain and Ken Marino, former members of The State comedy troupe. Very funny movie, and for those who do not know, it is basically a collection of 10 comedic short films (plus a framing story) that addresses each of the 10 Commandments.

(On an interesting side note, only after researching just now, due to the fact that the ten they listed were not identical to the 10 that I was raised learning in a Jewish setting, I've found that different Christian sects, along with Jews, break the commandments slightly differently, though based on the same 16 biblical sentences. But that is not really important to this conversation.)

Anyway, though the film is made up of 10 independent shorts, they are all clearly tied together based on a subject, and perhaps even a theme. Wain worded it as, if you break the commandments there will be consequences. A bit broad, but it works. Additionally, there are characters that recur throughout the various films, creating a more cohesive unit. And thus, this film features many aspects of the ensemble film.

In actuality, I would place it more firmly in the category of omnibus, but still, it relates.

Anyway, let me just say that this is a highly entertaining film, especially for those who like envelope-pushing humor. It is raunchy and edgy at times, and yet truly laugh-out-loud funny. Without spoiling much, let me just say that among the topics they hit on are (in no particular order) anal prison rape, sex, religion, nudity, drugs, STD-spreading dachsunds, bizarre skydiving accidents, the secret life of a ventriloquist dummy, etc. A really fun cast as well, including Paul Rudd (who is also a producer), Gretchen Mol, many members of The State and of Reno 911, Adam Brody, Jessica Alba, Famke Janssen, Rob Cordry, Winona (Forever) Ryder, and many others.

Not for the easily offended, but well worth a watch for those fans of edgy comedy!

Tags: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Thanks for buzzing about this film. I'm writing something similarly structured and would be interested to see how they did it. Plus, I have been SEARCHING for ANYTHING on STD-spreading dachsunds!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Emily Blake said...

Oops. I forgot all about that screening. I forgot to write it down on my calendar.

Glad the movie was good. Next time I won't flake.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ralphie said...

The trailer is hilarious - especially the cast list narration at the end.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home