.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Mastering My Domain

A while back, I had a friend design a logo for me, for use on a general purpose website:

At the time, I was going to set up a website called FunJoel.com which would have been more of a personal webpage, with some links to screenplay service stuff, as well as some of my photography stuff.

I never set it up. But I still like the logo, for which I came up with the concept. Therefore, I'd like to use it now (though I'll probably colorize and/or texturize it in some way).

I'm planning to set up a website specifically for my screenplay services (where I will probably also host my blog, and move it off of Blogger). I don't think Fun Joel is a good name for that, since it isn't descriptive at all.

So now I'm trying to come up with a good name that is descriptive, and that will also work with that logo. And I'd love to solicit some help from you guys. I'd like to include the words "screenplay" or "script" and possibly the word "services." Based on the logo, I guess it should make some reference to sun, palms, L.A., or summer.

Here's a few ideas I came up with. Let me know what you think of them, and feel free to suggest others of your own. I used the DomainsBot to search for some based on keywords, but didn't do any exhaustive searching there. So feel free to use it. However, I would like to keep it as a .com domain. Anyway, here's a few:

  • CaliSunScreenplays.com (my favorite, I think)
  • SunshineScriptServices.com
  • sunandpalmscreenplays.com

Feel free to think outside the box! I did think of using "sunset," but the problems there are that the sun is too high in the sky in the logo, and the word has some negative connotations ("the end").

So... what do you think?

Tags: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impression: I'd get rid of the sun altogether. It doesn't work with the tree. The idea of the tree is good but might benefit with a better design and rendering. Would be good for you to figure out the name and design the tree and the lettering of the name to work together.

I don't know what services you are promoting but the name ideas didn't grab me. They seem a little soft. If you are providing creative services you should have a name that reflects that, ie. something creative, edgy and memorable. For example, everybody remembers ScriptShark.

5:23 AM  
Blogger DDog said...

Here's a few:

SunScripts.com
SunriseScreenplays.com
SoCalScripts.com
HollywoodScriptServices.com
CaliScriptDomain.com

Some more a little more away from you Cali and Sun theme:

ScriptIssue.com
ScriptCaddy.com
ScriptForce.com

6:19 AM  
Blogger Webs said...

I think you're already branded as Fun Joel and to ignore that completely might be a mistake.

Hows about "Palm Readin' and Writin' Joel" :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I agree with webs. I think funjoel.com is way more memorable and catchy than anything else you've come up with. It's you.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Grubber said...

They make a good point FJ, you are marketing YOUR services, your reputation is the one that will get you work. Therefore, the Fun Joel name is an asset, rather than trying to invent another one.

If you want to develop something more later, with other readers, employees, tax havens, etc, etc, then you could simply choose something like:

FJ Script Services

domain it, register it, whatever, but it flows through from the roots and soul of the fun loving Fun Joel! :)

cheers
Dave
PS if you want copies of business plans, etc let me know, just been through that kind of stuff.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Yeah, you shuld keep your Fun Joel id.

If you're absolutely determined to change, what about "Fun Joel's Screenplay Island"?

1:58 PM  
Blogger taZ said...

How about something more original?

scenariojoel.com*
sunnyscenario.com
scenariofun.com*
leafscenario.com

OR

scriptpalm.com*
funjoels-island.com
movieleaf.com*
funjoelpolish.com
leafscript.com

OR

scriptemergency.com
scriptpleasure.com
analysemyscript.com*
hollywoodacces.com

* = personal favourites

Just ask for more. I have experience with sites myself.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

script de soleil (don't forget the foreign words for sun)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Maybe you're right and I should stick with Fun Joel -- I know I've built up the "brand" so to speak, but that's within the Blogosphere. I was thinking more about should someone who has never seen my stuff come across the page, or do a google search or something, what would sell for them. But maybe I should just be true to mine own self. FunJoel.com but titled "Fun Joel's Screenplay Services" or something like that.

I'll think on it.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPFunJoel.com

But I like Fun Joel on its own the best.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Robert Hogan said...

How about beachcomberscripts.com?

Rob

3:45 AM  
Blogger Kidsis said...

I think you could do FunJoel.com and still use that logo.

The main thing is not to make the URL difficult to spell or remember, which disqualifies several of the current favs. Gotta make sure the masses can get to your site. The illiterate, paying masses.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late on this but I think you should DEFINITELY stick with FunJoel.com because it's YOU! That's your brand!

You could even port all your posts here on this blog over to a new WordPress blog designed specifically for your services... It'll take a couple of months for the posts to catch up but it'll be worth it in the end.

Unk

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home