.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Memetics

So, it has been just under 24 hours since I posted my meme. And I thought I'd just check in on it -- the only time I will do so (since memes should take on lives of their own). Still, I thought it would be interesting to see how far it has traveled in 24 hours.

As far as I can see, 28 people have received the call to answer (including myself). 10 have done so already (and if I missed any from the last few minutes, forgive me). I'm seeing some interesting overlaps and responses -- a few people who have done telemarketing (as have I) and a few bartenders or bartender wannabes (I always said I should be one). 2 quotes from Raising Arizona, a few Jaws references already, and many early memories of drive-ins. I never have been to one, but I'll try to post a drive-in themed memory soon.

If you count me as Generation 0, those who I tagged as Gen 1, and their tagees as Gen 2, etc, here's how it all breaks down. 1 responder in Gen 0 (obviously), one Gen 1, two Gen 2, five Gen 3, and one Gen 4, so far. Just to give the shout-outs to respondees and then drop the topic:

Gen 1: Shawna
Gen 2: Dave, Kira
Gen 3: Lawrence, Kristen, William, Ras, Shawn
Gen 4: 101

A special shout out to 101, also, for exploring the mathematics of a spreading meme in his post. Interesting -- check it out.

Finally, I hope others will start more scribocentric memes in the future. This is fun (for me at least).

Tags: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Yeah, I was tagged, and I've already posted.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Webs said...

Yes, I'm very proud to have memorized the 3 times table.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, looks like I'm the last first generation Jim-Caviziel-junkie to Pay it Forward. Hope the ones I tagged were first-timers...yipe.

12:41 PM  
Blogger taZ said...

Once again you managed to turn the scribosphere up and down!

Hope you do the same succe with your scripts!;)

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick me! Pick me! (Oh God, having flashbacks to the schoolyard already)

But go on! You know you want to...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Lucy -- wish I could, but the meme is on its own now! ;-)

Eric -- my pleasure. If you want more, look back at my archives for my post "Hands Across the Scribosphere" and it's follow-up post. LOTS more to check out there, and plenty more since then.

7:49 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Been tagged. Did my job. Sent it to three others. Now, I'm going to drown myself in Ben & Jerry's because I just saw how prosaic and boring I am!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

The best thing about this was seeing the quotes everyone put up. My favorite from someone's meme: "I bet these cops got SCMODS."

Oh, man, I had forgotten that line.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Hey there. As I said, I'm not going to post on the topic of this meme again, but I wanted to alert y'all to something in the comments here.

Lee Thomson, in his answer to this, also put out a link to a del.icio.us page of all the people across the blogosphere (because let's face it, it's gone beyond the scribosphere) who have answered this. Very cool.

http://leethomson.blogspot.com/2006/01/round-and-round-garden_12.html

6:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So THAT's where it came from! Thanks for inventing it, I guess I must be G6 by now. It was fun filling it in. Keep up the good work ,Joel.

Yours

Merkin

7:26 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Actually, Merkin, according to Lee Thomson (who has been keeping track), it is at least Gen 10! I'm shocked and pleased.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home