.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Friday, January 06, 2006

And Speaking of Thrills

One of the good things (for a cinephile) of living in a major metropolitan area is the presence of Rep Theaters. Here in L.A., The American Cinematheque presents a number of classic (and more obscure) films on the big screen at The Egyptian and Aero theaters throughout the year. I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd's The Wall at the Aero a few months back.

This month, at the Egyptian, American Cinematheque is presenting a great series -- Hitchcockian: The Master & His Disciples. I don't know if I'll catch any, or which ones, but there are some great opportunities to see great movies on the big screen in a classic theater. My top picks to recommend: Vertigo and La Jetee tomorrow night, January 6; Spellbound and High Anxiety this Sunday, 1/8; Rear Window and Body Double on Saturday, 1/14; and Shadow of a Doubt (one of my fave Hitch films) and Shadow of the Cat on Thursday, January 19.

If anyone is interested, let me know and maybe I'll join you!

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great programming -- esp. pairing Hitch w/a Hitchcock ripoff of the same film...

Have never seen La Jetee and Shadow of the Cat...tempting...qu'est-que-c'est que La Jetee?

chris

11:36 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

I have seen La Jetee (and 12 Monkeys), and generally enjoyed it. Never even heard of Shadow of the Cat before though. Sounds great.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Dave Olden said...

When I saw Citizen Kane, for my first time, it was on a big screen of an actual movie theater.

When I tell people this, they squint a bit, lean closer and examine me for grey hairs which they can't see. "You can't be that old..."

Yeah, I milk the moment until I say, "50th Anniversary re-release," and they treat me like I'm a cheater or something.

They don't do these enough.
So, I'm jealous, Joel.

You will actually be able to walk in and see Rear Window on the big screen. Close to my favorite Hitchcock film, that.

Have an extra large popcorn for me, layered butter. :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger mernitman said...

La Jetee has long been on my top 25 favorite movies list (interesting pairing with Vertigo, in that both films are about "the pursuit of the past," although Jetee is sci-fi/fantasy). It's wholly unique: the entire film, albeit a short (it's a half hour or so long) is made up of still photographs except for one amazing moment that lasts only a few seconds when an image goes into film motion. Haunting, moving, one-of-a-kind.

Believe it or not, I actually saw Shadow of a Cat, when I was a tot. It was one of those Hammer spooky flicks from the early '60s, and all I remember from it was lots of low-angle, cat's POV shots and shadows, shadows galore -- including a shot where all you see is the cat's eyes glowing in the dark, which scared the hell out of me... at the time. Thanks FJ for taking me back...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Yeah, Mernit, that moment of movement is actually very cool, though if I remember correctly (and I definitely might not), it only SEEMED like motion picture, but might have been a quick cut between two stills.

And FYI, according to the Am. Cinematheque listing, Shadow is actually not officially a Hammer release, but basically was everyone from the Hammer stable anyway.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home