.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ineligible Bachelor

From Done Deal:

Title: Bachelor Party 2
Log Line: n/a
Writer: Jay Longino
Agent: Mngrs. Bernie Cahill and Jay Froberg of Roar Entertainment
Buyer: 20th Century Fox
Price: n/a
Genre: Comedy
Logged: 11/9/05
More: Assignment. Sequel to the 80's film. Ron Moler, who produced the original film, and Blue Star Pictures' William Sherak & Jason Shuman will produce.

So, what's wrong with this picture? Sure, the original Bachelor Party was a solid comedy, that featured a good enough Tom Hanks before he got too popular and famous for his own good. I even remember a few lines and scenes from that movie, more than I can say for many of the other mindless comedies from that era.

But I can't possibly be the target audience for this film, can I? They've got to be targeting a younger audience, no?

So why set this up as a "sequel to the 80's film?" Those who saw that one will be unlikely to see this one, and those in this film's target demographic will be unlikely to have ever even heard of the original, let alone be familiar with it.

It will be interesting if this remains positioned as a "sequel" if the film actually ends up going into production, or if the "market research" indicates a new name might serve it better.

But as far as I'm concerned, the only reason this would be worth viewing as a sequel is if Tawny Kitaen is back, too!

Tags: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Whitesnake video with Kitaen is a huge trigger for my teenage nostalgia... I gotta see a name change in the future or something. Of course, if Tommy joins the cast, they tweak it adult and bring back the donkey it could be a hit. I liked the first enough, like you said, better than many from that era.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Actually, she was in about 3 Whitesnake vids! AND the cover of a Ratt album. ;-) She was married to Whitesnake's David Coverdale for a while, and what I didn't know until I was looking for a link for her was that she was also involved in some minor scandalous legal thing with her next husband, some baseball player or something. I don't know the details because I never read that celebrity gossip crap!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I heard about that to, forget the baseball players name, but remember it being on the news. Wasn't something my brain felt the need to hang onto but wasn't she abusive or something, hitting him? I could be full of it.

I only remember that that one video, "Here I Go Again" or something like that. The one where she's dressed all in white and humping a car or something along those lines. She may have even gotten sprayed with water but that could be the testosterone adding touches that didn't exist.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home