.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Lotsa Progress (Weekend Update)

A good, productive weekend!

I finished up my portion of Hell on Wheels and just sent it off to Michael Lee. I don't feel like its great, and told him to feel free to change anything he wants. I'm not really married to any of it.

It's kind of funny. I totally think we needed to do the strong outline that we did, since we are passing it back and forth and need to be on the same page as to where we're going, and what will get written when. But at the same time, I feel as if the outlining also hurt the script in the short term. It felt like I was almost painting by numbers as I wrote it, just expanding whatever was written on the outline pages. I didn't feel as passionate while writing it as I often do, and part of that might have been a result of having already figured much of it out in advance.

But when I mentioned this to MLee, he came back with a good adage that I think is worth repeating and remembering:

Your first draft is never as bad or as good as you think it is.

Anyway, that's that, and I'm glad to have finished the first 30 pages and gotten the first act over to him. He will revise my work, and then write the next bit. We'll probably meet and review what we've got after he finishes his piece, or maybe between revising mine and the start of his writing.

Also, around the writing I did on HoW, I also wrote and revised a brief essay that I submitted to a local paper. I'm hoping they'll include it in one of their weekly features for their issue around September 11. It is about some of my experiences in NYC during and after that tragic morning. Not film related, but something I had wanted to write for a long time.

And I also did some more work on the article for scr(i)pt magazine. I have to get that done in the next few days, by the end of the month.

So I should be breathing regularly again by Thursday! In the meantime, let me just remind you that you can vote for The Sperm Donor once a day, and that you can use the discount code Expo4Haber for 10% off at the Screenwriting Expo! I hope to see you all there.

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, hope this doesn't discourage you,
your vamp western sounds cool, but I just
saw this:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=32196

I still want to see yours!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks for the heads up, Anon! That's the second I've heard of (as I've already mentioned "Priest" that Raimi is doing. This one seems much less of an issue to me, but good to know its out there. Again, I think mine's a better concept anyway! But thanks.

J

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If and when that essay gets published, let us know in what paper we can find it. I'd love to give it a read.

-Norm

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home