.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Back to the Drive-In

Some of you long-time readers may remember this post I wrote a while back about drive-in movie theaters.

There is something special about the drive-in, and its intensely iconic Americana notes that brings up highly visceral and nostalgic memories for people. That post had a large number of comments on it, and my desire to write the post int he first place was sparked by the number of responses to a meme I started that were closely tied to drive-in movies.

And so, when I came across this recent Variety story, I decided it was worth passing along. Hopefully, it will lead to many more people heading to the drive-in, and creating more memories of their own!

Enjoy!

Tags:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tavis said...

Saw that article too and thought it was pretty cool. I think the last movie I saw at a drive-in was Honey I Shrunk the Kids. I was on a date and it seemed like the kind of movie where you could miss large chunks of the story and still be able to follow it. However, I remember thinking that the film wasn't all that bad-- perhaps that's why my girlfriend later dumped me.

I'm hoping Portland opens some bike-in theaters!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jason Sanders said...

Up here in the Okanagan we have a wildly successful drive in. It's out in the middle of nowhere, but people drive a good thirty/forty minutes to watch something.

I definitely think that there's something special about sitting in your car, not having to worry about the people around you...

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank your for the reminder this post is! It inspired me to go back to my own past and indulge myself for a while in good old nostalgia: drive-ins, diners, pinball and the 50s. Cheers for that!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site!

I love the Dude references.

Thank you for all of your screenplay knowledge.

If you wouldn't mind looking at my site and letting me know what you think. It is a screenplay know-how page that deals with structure and formations of scripts.

http://forgewrite.wordpress.com/

I would love to know what you think.

"Is there a Ralph's around here?"

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home