.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Get Into the Groove, Boy...

As you know, I did a lot of traveling this past Fall. And though I felt extremely lucky to have had all those wonderful opportunities (though I love traveling, I have never done very much of it), it also wreaked quite a bit of havoc on my life. Every time I got back into town and started to catch up on stuff, I was out the door again and on my way to LAX, only to fall behind again.

So while I definitely got some good work done in January, the month was mostly dedicated to catching up and getting myself back into the groove of regular life. But now that we're already into the second month of 2008, I'm looking ahead and trying to make some serious progress on a number of things that I've started this past month.

One of those things will be more regular blogging (though I wasn't terrible about it this past month), through which you'll likely hear more about many of the other things.

I need to update you all on the Safari Picture, which has again shifted shape, but about which I'm pretty excited. I also may have some other writing and rewriting work to discuss. We shall see about that. But keep your eyes peeled.

Still, the most relevant to you all, at the moment, is that I hope to be launching a website very soon, and with that will be a redesign and upgrade of this blog. So, being the open-minded individual I am, I'd love to get your feedback and suggestions.

What are some of your favorite features of this blog, or others that you think I should try to incorporate more? What types of my posts do you like best or worst? Is there anything you think I'm missing out on overall?

I'm not looking to overhaul my content much (though if there is a type of post that many people like, I may try to do more of those). More an overhaul of design and functionality. So please do chime in, either in the comments, or via direct email to me.

Finally, I know my sidebar links are long overdue for a revisit. I plan to stick with my prior policy, which is that I try to be selective about which blogs I link to, instead of just linking to anyone who asks. This is not to be elitist or critical, but just that with the explosion of the Scribosphere, the signal-to-noise ratio has dropped significantly. So I want to keep that ratio within my links more in the opposite direction.

That being said, if you have a blog you think I should check out to consider linking to, let me know and I'll definitely take it under advisement! (And if you know I read your blog regularly, but aren't in my links yet, no need to remind me. It just means that you are one of those links I've been meaning to add for ages, but haven't gotten to yet. Sorry!)

Tags: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Funjoel, why are you launching a website? I'm currious what's in it for you? What are you trying to gain?

Blog sites are places for people to spout off about what's important to them. A place to voice one's opinion. How different is your website going to be from that?

Topics I'm intrested in hearing you speak about.

1. What "good" spec. script writing means, and looks like to you. Especially as pertains to "direction." (No need to really explain dialog, shot headings or transitions)

2. More insights into your life, especially what it's like to be a professioal reader. Like, are you guys under any pressure from those of whom you're reading for?

3. Your personal goals in your career.

4. Finding out about opportunites for new writers to get their material in the hands of producers and studios open to new writers with hot spec scripts.

What I'm not interested in is:

1. Stange veiled posts directed at fellow bloggers and people in the industry, that leaves me scratching my head wondering, "What the _uck is he talking about?"

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

4:01 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

E.C. -- I'll address some of your points here, now.

The website is for my script consulting services. Currently, I direct people to a page of the blog here (The link on the top left of the page, for "Fun Joel's Screenplay Services"), but I've been meaning for a long time to put up a website for this purpose.

Thus, while the blog will be incorporated into that site (they are related, and thus the focus remains -- something I've always wanted this blog to remain), the site will be more than a place to voice my opinions. Think of it as an extension of the reason I started this blog in the first place. And if you don't know why I started the blog, go back and read one of the first blog posts I ever wrote, and I explain it there.

In terms of the things you suggest, I will keep them in mind and see where I can work some of those things in. But while the blog does relate to my life, and I certainly do include details where relevant to the topic, this blog never has been and never will be a major window onto my life. It is not a "personal" blog, but a professional one, and thus I focus on things that relate to screenwriting. I know that is likely what you meant by "insights into your life," etc., but I wanted that to remain clear.

Regardng what you're not interested in, I have no idea what that means. Is that a reference to something you've already seen me do? To something you've seen others do? Or just a random thing that you don't want to see on this blog? I'm confused.

Thanks for the comments!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

The strike is ending!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Patrick -- as much as I'd like it to be, it ain't over 'til it's over.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Hi Joel, I've just tagged you in a meme about film books.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home