.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Finally: Africa Pictures!

I finally got back my pictures from Africa a couple of weeks ago, and have been busy, which is why I haven't posted them yet. But now I'm uploading some of the best and/or most interesting ones here. These are culled from about 500 pictures I took, and there are 2 that I didn't take (the ones with me in them). I believe you can click on them to see larger images. All rights are reserved by copyright holder for these shots, overriding the Creative Commons license below.

Some of you have asked to see them, so I figure it relates enough to my work to put them up on the blog! I hope you enjoy. (I'm not great with formatting on Blogger, so forgive me if this looks weird. And forget me trying to caption them in an easy fashion. So I'll just post them. If you're curious about any of them, just ask and try to describe which one you mean, and I'll try to respond!)




8 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Cool!! I can't believe how close you got to those animals.

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´m very deceived.

As a reader, when I come across with your note about the copyright I felt the urge to unsubscribe your blog from my feeds reader.

Really, I found it pathetic. In Flickr there are thousands of better pictures than those.

Who, do you think, is going to STEAL your amateur pics...??

You have no idea about the concept of free culture.


Very, very deceived.
In Africa they don´t need this kind of people.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way... I´m sure you didn´t get a RELEASE FORM from the black guy who appears on the pic.

So please don´t ask for things when you are not respecting his image rights.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Christina -- Thanks! Many were very close, and others were with a long lens.

James -- Sorry if you found it offensive. It was not meant to me. But at the same time, I DO own the copyright to anything I create. If, as you say, they are not good enough for anyone to want to steal, then there should be no issue or problem. No one will want them anyway. No harm, no foul. But the bottom line is that I like them, and I want to retain the rights to them.

I'll also add, that for what it's worth, these are not high-res version of the pictures, and I have much better versions of all of them. But there was nothing deceptive about anything I did. I've always had a Creative Commons license on my blog, and since this was an exception, I wanted to be clear about it.

I very much DO have an understanding of "free culture." This does not mean that anything posted on a website is free for anyone to take and use at their discretion. Just the opposite. It means that since there is an ease of free usage, we must be more careful to protect what is ours, when we care about it.

I'll also say that you have NO idea what rights I did or did not get from the people that I spent a lot of time with on my safaris. However, what I wrote was "All rights are reserved by the copyright holder," which means that I am reserving the rights to those pictures for which I AM the copyright holder.

In all honesty though, I'm not angry with you nor did I mean to offend you or anyone else. I'm just confused by your anger about this. Please feel free to explain further. I'm happy to engage in a conversation about intellectual property in the age of digital reproduction.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Joel,

I´m really sorry. I just couldn´t avoid to play a little bit. In fact, I was not deceived. I just wanted to see your reaction ;-) and I made up the whole story mixing up different things: the black guy, flickr, free culture and your photo skills...

I´m very surprised.

You seem to be a very diplomatic, civilized person. I expected a fierce fight with wild energy from the Safari... now I´m really deceived :-)

Anyway, thanks for your time and arguments.

All the best,
a reader

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the cat got your tongue?

1:49 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

James -- Ha ha! Glad I "passed the test."

Marina -- huh?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina was my impatient alter ego...

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home