.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Don't Quote Me on This...

Okay, fine, I'll play...

There is a new meme going around the Scribosphere, and since I am way behind on my blog reading, I didn't even know that David tagged me for this. And who knows, maybe others did as well.

I'm not going to repeat the "instructions," since most of you have seen this already. I'll just list my 15 movie quotes in no particular order, and you all can take your guesses. Some of these are very easy and obvious, but they are among my favorite movie quotes, so I included anyway. I assume a few of them will be more difficult. I also aimed for a few different kinds of films, and different eras.

Update: I'm adding some hints for the remaining few. Some will probably "give them away," but so be it!

Guess, away!

1. "And that was only one of the many occasions on which I met my death, an experience which I don't hesitate strongly to recommend." -- M.J.
2. "You're gonna need a bigger boat." -- David A.
3. "Why don't we go lay on the bed and I'll fill you in?" -- Tavis
(Second quote, same flick: "Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.")
4. "Drink up, young man. It'll make the whole seduction part less repugnant." -- James
(Lead character and I share a first name.)
5. "Hello...? I forgot my mantra." -- David A.
6. "'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." -- James
(One of my all time favorite movies. Film noir. LA. Followed by a horrendous sequel. The director has had some legal troubles in the States.)
7. "I'm talking about the gas chamber, and you haven't even asked me what this is about. You've got a big 'Guilty' sign around your neck." -- Joshua
8. "It will cost you sweat and tears, and perhaps... a little blood." -- Tavis
(Silent vampire flick. How many of those are there?!)
9. "Did you ever hear of 'The Seattle Seven?' That was me. And six other guys." -- Bill
10. "Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?" -- Josh
11. "Doctor said I need a backiotomy!" -- James
(The best weed comedy ever.)
12. "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that." -- Joshua
13. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." -- David A.
14. "You either surf or you fight!" -- M.J.
15. "[M]y father assured him that either his signature or his brains would be on the release.... That's a true story. That's my family... that's not me." -- Josh

I officially tag: YOU! (If you want to do it, and you haven't been tagged yet, and you feel the need to wait until you are tagged before you respond.)

Tags: , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2. Jaws. There -- I got the obvious one out of the way.

5. Annie Hall, I think.

12. I know I know this one. I know it! Arrrrrgg!

13. Dr. Strangelove.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Right you are David. And yes, you're even right about # 12 -- you do know this one! ;-)

6:01 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

9. The Big Lebowski

7:23 AM  
Blogger Lucy V said...

4. The Graduate?

8:56 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Nope, Lucy. Though I see why you'd think that. :-)

8:59 AM  
Blogger M J Reid said...

1. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
14. Apocalypse Now

2:15 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Well done, M.J.! I was wondering who was going to get # 1!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

10. Silence of the Lambs.

And shot in the dark...
15. The Godfather.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Joshua James said...

7 is LA CONFIDENTIAL

10 SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

12 is BETTER OFF DEAD.

15. GODFATHER

3:22 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Right and right.

Sorry Joshua, but Josh got 15 first!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

And number 10...

4:32 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Where are all my female readers? Lucy responded, but I know some others of you can get these!

I'll give it another day, and then will add hints!

4:35 AM  
Blogger James said...

4. is ETERNAL SUNSHINE ... of the spotless mind -- if you really wanted me to write out the whole title.

11:27 AM  
Blogger James said...

Guess, I should do em all in one post:

I believe 6 is CHINATOWN -- but I didn't know they made a sequel...?

11 is HALF BAKED.

No clue what 8 is.

3 rings a bell, but I can't place it. If I had to guess at 3, I'd guess DAYS OF THUNDER... but there's better lines from that one: "Rubbin' is racin" :p

11:34 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

James -- Correct on 4, 6 and 11. Incorrect on 3!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Oh, and James, the horrendous sequel to Chinatown was The Two Jakes. And take it from me, you're not missing anything!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Tavis said...

Wait- nobody got Fletch!? #3

2:55 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Absolutely, Tavis! I was as shocked as you!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Tavis said...

Just one left-- #8. Silent vampire flick? Nosferatu? Or is it the film about Nosferatu-- Shadow of the Vampire?

8:44 AM  
Blogger James said...

Fletch! I knew it rung a bell lol. Gj Tavis.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Excellent Tavis! It is indeed Nosferatu, and I'm surprised no one got it sooner, after the clue that is. I wouldn't expect many people to get it before the clue!

Not sure whether it was mentioned in Shadow of the Vamp or not. Hmmm.

But anyway, that wraps her all up in a nice little bow! Thanks for playing everyone!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home