.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Snakes on a MotherFriedman CNN

On my Yahoo homepage just now I saw a video from CNN about the growing hype online surrounding Snakes on a Plane (love that logo, by the way). And there in the middle of it all was a brief one-line interview/reference to the Scribosphere's own Josh Friedman.

The reporter credited his made up line "There's motherfuckin' snakes on a motherfuckin' plane!" with sparking the entire online groundswell of support. And then they cut to him saying the line itself. The story went on to say that the line was not originally in the script (since Josh made it up), but New Line added the line due to fan support, actually changing the rating from PG-13 to R in the process. I have no idea if this is true, but if so, it is pretty cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats to Josh. Hope you're getting a cut of the publicity money! And maybe you should go to arbitration for partial screenplay credit!

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily Blake said...

I kept telling my trainer at the gym about Snakes on a Plane but he didn't believe me. While I was doing jumping jacks the other day, I saw that CNN story on the TV behind him. I shouted, and my trainer saw it and finally believed me. Now he's a fan.

I really want a ringtone with Friedman's line.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/07/AR2006040702137_2.html

- Allen

5:32 AM  
Blogger aggiebrett said...

Not trying to steal Friedman's thunder or cash ("ThunderCash"-- sounds like a bad primetime gameshow), but honestly-- didn't everyone immediately mentally hear Samuel L bellowing "there's motherfuckin snakes on the mutherfuckin plane!" the very first moment they heard about the SoaP conept? I know I did-- I assumed that was part of the core commercial appeal of the concept, and surely part of SLJ's interest (it seemed a half-parody of SLJs screen persona from the get-go).

When I read somewhere lately that the line was NOT originally included in the script, I had to shake my head in total disbelief. NOT IN THE SCRIPT? You're telling me a room full of professional grade movie folks have a movie with snakes on a plane, they have Samuel L Jackson starring in this movie, and nobody -- not the writers, not the director, not the foley artists or gaffers or the guy mopping up at the craft services table -- snickered and said in a bad SLJ voice "we got mutherfuckin snakes on the mutherfuckin plane!"?

Doubts are what I'm having by the bucketful right about now.

If this line was not in the first draft of the script tendered AFTER Samuel L Jackson's name was first mentioned on this project, then that writer needs to be dragged out back and beaten with surplus keyboards.
.
.
.
B

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home