.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reality Bits

You all may recall that my friend Mark was a finalist in last year's reality TV show Situation: Comedy. Well, it seems that I must have some fatalistic connection with the world of "reality" TV.

Remember Adam Mesh, the "Average Joe" who viewers liked so much that he got his own season of the reality show? Well, I used to work with him. We weren't friends, per se, but I definitely recognized him as soon as I saw him and knew him by name.

Then there is my friend Linda T, who you should remember is up to be America's Next Scream Queen (remember to vote for #93). Not reality TV exactly, but definitely building on the genre.

Clearly, I have some connection to that "reality TV force" in the world. Some innate bond of which I'm clearly unaware, and seemingly oblivious. At least until this newest connection waved its flag in my face.

An old college friend of mine (we were in the dramatics society together) is currently on an even bigger reality show: The Apprentice. Dan is even someone with whom I've done a small amount of collaborating. I rewrote a short that he wrote, a few years back. Never made it into production, and for me it was kind of an exercise, in that it was the first time I had ever done any writing work in any kind of collaborative manner. And we've been in touch on and off since.

So now I'm blatantly aware of my obvious soul-connection to reality TV. It is clearly my density destiny to appear on one of these shows, or at least collect more and more tangential connections thereto! I shall not sleep until I've uncovered the significance of this bond (or until I climb into bed tonight, whichever comes first).

I don't watch much TV, so I'm not sure, but I don't think there is any chance for viewers to vote in The Apprentice. So I'll just ask those of you who do watch it to at least send some good vibes out, and root for Dan. And if any of you are prescient, let me know the next reality show I will have a connection to, so maybe I can adjust my wardrobe, or at least start watching it so I'm not clueless when it rolls around!

Tags: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

I say we develop our own reality t.v. show where producers choose several wannabe screenwriter/bloggers to submit screenplays to them.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

MaryAn -- that's not reality TV, it's reality! It's called Hollywood. ;-)

9:01 PM  
Blogger Kidsis said...

Ack! Traitor! Unless of course, you're going to wait until the final episode and pull a banner out of your undies that says "Free the Enslaved Fiction Writers...Reality Sucks!" That's your real plan, right?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Kid Sis -- you did, of course, realize this was all facetious, did you not? I mean, the facts are there, but I have never had, nor do I have any intention of ever having anything to do with Reality TV directly. (Okay, maybe I'll submit something to Project Greenlight some day. ;-)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Checking my prescient ball, and it seems to indicate that you might tangentially be involved with Exciting Stories of the Highway Patrol.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So now I'm blatantly aware of my obvious soul-connection to reality TV. It is clearly my density destiny to appear on one of these shows, or at least collect more and more tangential connections thereto! I shall not sleep until I've uncovered the significance of this bond (or until I climb into bed tonight, whichever comes first)."

-- Hey joel - another great post. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your nod to "Back to the Future".

Density is highly overrated, in my opnion. It's all about destiny.

Cheers
--Pascia

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're rooting for both Dan and Lee - the two Orthodox Jewish candidates on The Apprentice.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

So it was Dan who took my spot on The Apprentice. I actually applied for that season. The first, and probably ONLY, time that I applied for a reality show. Someday I'll post that story... And perhaps the application video. It's laughable...

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home