.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Taking Mistakes to a New Level

Okay. I've posted before about the need to proofread (and not just spell check) your screenplays. But the script I was reading this morning took the mistakes to a new level.

In addition to a plethora of typos that weren't caught by spell check (e.g. "waive" for "wave"), and other no-nos, such as stating that this script was draft number 30-something, I saw an error I never thought I'd see in a script. The writer misspelled his own name!

Now you're probably sitting there wondering how I know it was misspelled, and not just an odd spelling, right? Well, he spelled his name one way in the footer to every page (also a no-no), and a different way on the title page of the script! They can't both be right!

If you've written over 30 drafts of a script, don't you think you should care enough about it to at least check the spelling of your own name? Hell, even if you've only written one draft you should feel that way! Ugh.

Tags: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I only put my name on a script once. So, even if it's wrong, the reader will never know.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

That's classic Joel. My students do it all the time. Even better, I made a very hilarious typo on a vocab test today. I give students a list at the beginning of th week of words with definitions. Then, when I make the test, I cut and paste. Well, in my rushing to go to dinner and then drinks last night, I copied and pasted funny. Unknown to me until a student pointed it out during the test. Instead of "mood" as a literary term. I had "moodshit" listed.

WOW were we all cracking up.

2:28 AM  
Blogger s.warren said...

The 30th draft? Why would you include that on the title page? It doesn't exactly instill confidence.

6:41 PM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

When I was a very young, arrogant and self important information officer, I once posted notices for a "PUBIC HEARING" over a very controversial zoning issue. I have never trusted spell check since.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a writer's name for Alan Smithee that deserves to be on this one

1:43 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Funny stuff, everyone!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a side note regarding grammer in screenplays, is it just me or has - become the all purpose grammer utility. Not sure if you need to use a . or a , use a - !

The last couple of scripts I've heard were just inundated with - used in place of most other grammatical symbols.

I was just wondering if this was now an acceptable practice, or just a mistake on the part of the writer.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home