.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Changing Done Deal

I am sad to announce that today, during my daily perusal of the Done Deal board on Script Sales, I came upon the following announcement:

Over the next couple of weeks we will be making some substantial changes to the Done Deal website. We'll be moving various content over to our sister site, Done Deal Pro, in an effort to consolidate all of our info under one banner. Running both sites over this past year has been a challenge. Our time is becoming more limited, and we want to make sure we offer the best information we can -- as successfully as possible -- in one place.

Exactly how will this affect our current Done Deal visitors? First, we will soon discontinue running Done Deal at the ScriptSales.com address. We'll be moving certain sections (the links page, Hollywhooped, the Examples section, our interviews, etc.) over to Done Deal Pro, where they will be offered for free, along with the free contest listings and Job Board already there.

In addition, our Done Deal message board will be moved over to replace the current Done Deal Pro forums. We will keep our message board free for everyone to continue to enjoy.

The rest of the data on Done Deal Pro will be for subscribers only.

So basically, one of my favorite free screenwriting resources on the web will be going pay. Of course, I am not complaining about their decision; I'm sure it takes a tremendous amount of effort and time to keep a generally up to date listing of script, book, and pitch sales. So they are certainly entitled to be compensated for it. And who knows? I may shell out the $24 a year they will be asking (though I'll have to compare it to the prices of competing services).

What I am doing is lamenting the loss of this free service, warranted as that loss of "free-ness" may be. Anyone know of any other similar free resources out there? HollywoodLitSales seems to be way out of date on their database (or maybe I'm just not following it clearly). Anyone got others they like?

Tags: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess what four letter word I just muttered? I can't believe it. I read the Sales board every single morning. You mention 'compare it to' competing services? Could you list them or do a review on them in the future?

3:00 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Cake? Love? Runt? Can't figure out the word! ;-)

When I say competing services, I mean competing paid services. In other words, if I find an adequate free service, great. But if I decide to start paying for a service, I'll have to see which one is the best. If I do so, I'll certainly mention it on here.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Was it that 4-letter word for female that ends in “unt”?

.
.
.
.

What?? “Aunt” already.

But otherwise, #@#$@! paid service!!

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done Deal was a daily stop for me, and the free script sales listing was always an excellent motivator/kick in the pants. I'll miss it, but not enough to pay for it. I really think subscription-based websites are outmoded. Still, I wish them the best.

5:22 AM  
Blogger lad said...

Twenty-four dollars isn't bad, but I would almost rather subscribe to imdbpro. You can find out more about agents and representation, but they don't have lit sales. If I'm going to pay for it, they better have every selling price and every detail. If it leads to selling a script of producing a movie, I will pay for everyone elses as well.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never found a site out there that lists every price. It's not always announced or given out as I understand it.

24 a year is nothing. No site is free when you think about it. somebody somewhere has to pay some money to keep it going. I bet helping a bunch of broke screenwriters isn't that profitable either. We all expect too much for free. Me included. :(

peace out. -ew

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home