.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Pretty Persuasion Update

Just to touch base on the box office from Pretty Persuasion this weekend after my post last Friday...

So, on the one hand, the film only made $58,570 this weekend. BUT, as is the strategy with many indie releases, it opened very small, only appearing on eight screens, for a very respectable $7321 per screen average. By way of comparison, the only film in the top 10 that had a higher per screen average this weekend was the #1 film of the weekend, Four Brothers at $8360. (I've heard great things about this film. Anyone see it this yet?)

Obviously, this is not the only stat that matters in film business -- to be successful the film will need to recoup its costs and then some. But this is a promising opening for an indie release. Since I liked the script so much, I'm hoping the road ahead leads to expanding box office for some time on this release. And if any of you have seen it (I had a busy weekend, but hope to see it soon enough), let us hear what you thought!

Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I'm a wannabe screenwriter from the UK. I have a few stalled attempts and still have to complete my first screenplay.

I'm finding that although reading screenwriting blogs is really stopping me from writing, it's actually keeping my head in writing mode, so a finished script may be on the cards :)

12:59 AM  
Blogger s.warren said...

Joel,

I appreciate you checking out my blog and leaving your comments.

Four Brothers is a pretty decent revenge movie and head and shoulders above more recent Hollywood examples of the genre (ie. Paparazzi). It does falter in the third act, but overall delivers decent enough entertainment. Surprisingly it manages some measure of cruelty here and there (mostly because of Wahlberg's character), but by and large it is overly slick and doesn't pack the visceral punch these type of movies should. I did appreciate a few moments of blaxploitation vibe that Singleton injected via the score.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Funny you should ask, Glenn! Indeed, there is such a thing. :-)

IndieWire.com has their own box office rankings, based on per screen average:

http://www.indiewire.com/boxoffice/

Thanks for asking, and for commenting!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to get a copy of the screenplay for acting class. Where can I get one? I think that this movie is great!
traestar@yahoo.com

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home