.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Take a Trip to Gaytown

So as a follow-up to my last post, I checked out The West Side, as Cecil suggested in the comments. Not bad, and looks good visually, with a decent overall concept. The writing is adequate, though a bit slow-paced, and the acting is sporadic. But still, it is definitely a better web series than most that I've seen out there. I just wish they could find some sponsorship so they could pump out more episodes, instead of the extremely sporadic style of the current release.

But I've continued talking to a lot of people about web series they liked. And this one came up the other day. Gaytown! It is generally quite funny, somewhat original, good writing, good comedic acting, and good production values. Here is episode one (the first season ran ten episodes, and you can watch them on you tube, or by going directly to the "network" that is airing them, Crackle.) I definitely plan to check out some of the other series on Crackle to see if they are equally good.



But looking at these two web series also made me think about the types of stuff that has gone up on the web. The West Side is essentially a single, longer story that has been split into shorter episodes, albeit with minor cliffhangers along the way. Still, it could easily have been made as a single short film. Gaytown, on the other hand, is significantly more episodic. And then you can think about a series like Ask a Ninja, which is made up of completely stand-alone episodes. Sort of like Lost vs. My Name is Earl vs. South Park.

Anyway, please keep any suggestions you have coming! And same with ARGs, if any of you have any good suggestions on that front.

Tags: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding ARGs, it seems like LOST may have another one this summer.

And if you don't know what The Lost Experience is, it was an ARG that took place two summers ago and is surely the most in depth ARG I've ever seen. http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Lost_experience

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gaytown looks funny. If you are just looking for a few web series, I can give you some. I won't grade them or anything. I found most of these while I was doing research and developing my own series so I haven't watch them all. You can check them out and judge for yourself.

http://portcitypdhd.mevio.com/ I haven't watch this one, just kept it bookmarked.

http://www.dudershow.com/main
They seemed to have given up on this one.

http://www.phoebeworks.com/
Floaters: Cute and done pretty much in one room. It's won a few awards.

http://www.livevideo.com/soupoftheday
I've watched a few of these. It's pretty good.

http://www.theburg.tv/
This one is pretty good. Short and to the point.

If you are looking for some sponsored stuff, myspace has done a few.

Now I have to get back to creating my series. Just looking at these again made me excited to create my own.

11:18 PM  
Blogger wcmartell said...

I'm thinking about doing a web series, and I'm looking at doing an old fashioned cliff-hanger serial. Probably 5-7 minute segments with a big problem at the end which isn't resolved until the next episode. I'm thinking of doing a "24" kind of thing. Last holiday season I watched a pile of old serials from the 30s and 40s to get an iea of how they worked... not nearly as well as "24". My plan is to do around a dozen episodes so that it all adds up to 90 minutes.

- Bill

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you're planning to make a mime of 24, but instead covering 90 minutes rather than 24 hours, then I think you should revamp the concept. That's just my humble opinion. There are huge problems with copying concepts of popular shows and movies (look at the "Wanted" backlash)
I won't go into detail because I don't know anything about the series you have in mind. :P

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a funny series. Is that foreman in Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay? Well, anyway, he looks scarily similar...

I also love "The Adventures of C.C. Brite" web series from NYC. Very campy Nancy Drew-like episodes.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Not David said...

I really like a new show called "Imaginary Bitches"
http://youtube.com/ImaginaryBitches

It stars a really talented young actress from All My Children, but also has in it my favorite actress from Nip/Tuck.

Production quality, scripts and acting is amazing. Definitely a must see.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home