.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Of Panels, Seminars and Meetings

Okay, folks! Lots of good stuff coming up.


Firstly, I have long neglected this, but I of course must remind you all that I am again scheduled to speak at the Screenwriting Expo next Friday. I am honored to have been named a "Star Speaker" after Expo 4 last year, meaning that of the numerous people that came to hear me speak, most of them rated me highly. So I thank them publicly now.

I will be presenting the same two seminars this year, both on Friday, and if you didn't join me last year, I encourage you to attend this year. I'd love to meet you, if I haven't already. I don't know whether it is too late or not, but I have a discount code you can try to use: "Expo5Haber."

The seminars I will be presenting are "Writing to be Read" from 10-11:30 AM and "Verbalizing the Visual" from 2-3:30. The former is about my experiences as a script reader, in which I discuss specific screenplays that I read and rejected, explaining the specific reasons I rejected them. Essentially, it teaches you how to think like a script reader when you write, thereby increasing your chances at getting to the next development stage. The second seminar is about how to write visual sequences in which little to no dialogue is uttered. Scenes such as physical comedy, sex, action, and sports.

I hope some of you will join, and please spread the word as well.

Also, if you are interested in meeting up at some point during or around the Expo, let me know as well. I'm going to try to organize another Scribosphere meet-up, if possible.

* * *

Now speaking of me speaking about reading, I will also be participating in a panel discussion about what script readers do, want, and are looking for. The panel is scheduled for Wednesday night, November 1st, and is being sponsired by my friends over at MediaBistro. Entitled "What Screenplay Readers Want," you can find the details about it, and register, right HERE. And as a special gift to my readers, I have arranged for a $5 discount. If you are interested in the details on how to get the discount, email me.

* * *

Lastly, I want to promote another cool panel discussion that will be taking place at night, during the Expo (but unaffiliated with it). The Learning Annex is having a panel of horror screenwriters, including the very kind and articulate Stephen Susco, whom I met and got to know at the Scriptwriters Showcase. I will be attending. The panel is entitled "The Ultimate Horror-Writing Seminar!!!" and here is some info. Please note that I've arranged a special discount for you, my beloved readers!

Do you have a flair for scare? You'll get insider tips, tricks of the trade, inspiration, and A-list advice from the best in the biz.

The following panelists are confirmed to date:

Darren Bousman (Writer / Director) wrote and directed Saw II.

Scott Kosar (Screenwriter) writing credits include: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), The Machinist, and The Amityville Horror (2005).

Jonathan Liebesman (Writer /Director) directed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, and Friday the 13th: The Sequel.

Pamela Pettler (Screenwriter) wrote Monster House and co-wrote Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.

Hans Rodionoff (Writer/Director) Screenwriting credits include: The Hollow, Clive Barker's Saint Sinner and Man-Thing.

Stephen Susco (Screenwriter) His first produced film, The Grudge, grossed over $300 million worldwide.

Was $49.99, now only $29.99! Go HERE to register with the discount, or call 310-478-6677 and mention code: JOELHR to redeem $20 off this class.


So again, please let me know if you need any information on any of these great events. Also let me know if you want to meet up during or around the Expo. I hope to see a number of you over the next few weeks!

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really dream of the day I'll be able to fly to LA and go to all the events and stuff.

Great experience.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be volunteering Saturday, but I'll definitely come by to sit in on at least one of your seminars so I can spend 20 minutes asking really personal questions that can't relate to anybody's script but mine. Then I'll heckle you when I don't like the answers and walk out in a huff.

Also, I'm totally in for a meetup.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

hey joel,

welcome back with the new computer. i likely won't be making the hike down to LAX for the Expo but would be up for drinks or the like afterwards (maybe somewhere a little closer to home)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Sorry I'll miss you this year. I'll be reporting back from Austin Film Festival. Have a brew for me and have a great time.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Sal said...

Have a good time at Expo, I won't be there but I look forward to your updates and reports

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Fire Restoration Fort Worth said...

Good readinng this post

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home