.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Getting your Money's Worth

A little while back, I posted about the various free screenings available here in LA.

Well just this morning (or maybe last night, I forget) I got an invite from one of the email lists I put myself on to go see a free screening of Firewall on Thursday. And truth be told, I have no desire to go. To a free screening. What's up with that?

It isn't even that Firewall looks so bad or anything. Do I not think it is worth the money I'd have to pay for it? It must be worth at least that, right?

In general, I have a pretty good idea of whether I will like a movie before I see it. Perhaps not how much I will or won't like something (in other words, I might like something a bit that I thought I'd like a lot, or vice versa). But my ability to interpret previews/marketing campaigns/reviews/etc. is pretty keen, so I usually know what I'm getting myself into.

And I'm pretty certain I won't particularly like Firewall. Maybe it is just that I can already see almost the whole The Net meets Ransom storyline, and where the script will go with it. I don't think it will be offensively bad. Just a bit boring. Plus, I must add that I think it has one of the worst movie posters I've seen in ages, making it look (design-wise) like a film from 1979.

Still, if anyone in LA is absolutely dying to see this film, isn't on the same email list, and feels like swinging by to give me a ride there and back (it's at Mann's Chinese, so at least that's cool), let me know and I'll see if tickets are still available! Then it might at least be worth my time. :-)

Tags: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger taZ said...

Harrison Ford and Paul Bettany!!!

Of course you gonna see it. And it if it's bad, what do you have o loose? It's free right?

12:55 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Uh, yeah... no. Sorry. ;-)

But I guess that's my point -- at one point does a free movie not even become worth it?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to me if you saw the last 4 Harrison Ford films you basically saw this one 'poor schlub minding his own business has to overcome the bad guys etc etc')

3:07 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I know what you're saying, Joel. I used to write reviews; getting paid atop a free screening couldn't get my interest up for seeing certain movies. Firewall would definitely be one I'd loathe to review.

5:18 PM  
Blogger John David Roberts said...

Maybe I have the luxury of thinking there's something to learn only because I'm on the East coast. Namely, that some executive was willing to produce and market this movie, despite its being really familiar in most every way. If that exec. is right, I'd want to know why. Now, if I if I had to go to a Loews theater across town, well, forget it!

1:18 AM  
Blogger taZ said...

I have to agree with "john the...".

1:52 AM  
Blogger deepstructure said...

lol! the idea of seeing a movie because i think some executive believed in it is so foreign to me it's ridiculous.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I just hate the fact that if you watch the TV commercials, you think this movie is starring Harrison Ford and a car.

Nowhere can you even tell that Paul Bettany and Virginia Madsen are even in the movie.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Truth be told, I have never even seen a single movie with Bettany, so I don't think I would have recognized him anyway! Virginia Madsen, on the other hand, at least makes her appearance on the poster.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home