.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Free Movies!

No, that is not a call to arms, as in "Free Katie" or Winona.

Rather, it is a clarion call. An announcement about everybody's favorite kind of movies. Free ones! Yes, I've recently discovered a number of series of free movie screenings, mostly previews prior to release. Who doesn't like that? And many of these feature Q&A with the writers, directors, producers, or actors as well. These are all in LA (I think), so I guess that's just another reason for you "foreign" screenwriters to move here. But anyway, here's the info.

Most of you probably already know about Creative Screenwriting magazine's frequent screening series. But in case you don't, sign up for the emails HERE.

More importantly, however, I just learned about Variety's screening series. This seems like one of the premiere screening series out there, and is totally glam. At the Arclight and featuring good people to answer the audience's too-often stupid questions. I'll be attending the screening of Munich on Tuesday, December 20. Let me know if you'll be there too.

Two other lists that I just signed up for as well: MyCinemaAccess.com (a bit of a clunky, poorly designed site, but relatively frequent screenings it would seem) and Laemmle Theaters' Sneak Preview Club.

Now, don't say I never gave you anything!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: As the next post indicates, the Variety series is supposedly not open to the general public. Sorry for any confusion this causes. The other series should eb fine still, however!

Tags: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. I signed up for Munich too.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I would go see Munich, but I have to pick my girlfriend up from the airport. I'll see The New World instead. Thanks again.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I'll be at Munich as well. I guess I'll see you in line, Joel.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Right on! Looking forward to seeing a few of you there! :-)

2:21 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

A good question Warren. It says nothing about it on the website, and I had no problem RSVPing and getting confirmed. Of course, I didn't write down my confirmation number or the phone number they have on there. So maybe the next person who signs up can call them to double check, or get me the number to call?

But as far as I know, there's no problem!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dudes!

Why NOT a call to arms? FREE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I hit RSVP and...nothing. No spot to enter my name, NUTHIN'. Maybe they can see who I am.

Lastly, this is THE time of year to be in the WGA. Every movie that wants a writing award is free to members. Contact me if you want to come, I'm often looking for company. Less ethical writers might point out that the free passes work for any movie vying for an award OR any movie playing in a multiplex with a similar showtime to one vying for an award. Also, much less ethical writers might have taken to using movie tickets as stocking stuffers...

...also a good value: membership in the sci-fi fantasy film club (i know I've got that name wrong) $50/year for 2-4 screenings every weekend, often more. Of course, they're sometimes at 9 a.m., which presents its own problems.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should have been an email confirmation that you are sent for the Variety Screening. I recieved mine for "Good Night, ..", an also for "Mrs. Henderson .." I believe you need this to present to the check-in table (I don't know yet, as this will be my first Variety Screening). In the past, I was on the Variety Screenings list, and they sent out emails that one needs to reply to.

The MyCinemaAccess does the same. You are emailed an invitation, fairly often, and you need to reply. You need to then print out the confirmation form, and bring with ID to the screening. Sometimes they let you in if you forgot the confirmation, but they ALWAYS check your ID against a printed roster.

The Laemmle screenings were happening every month, I think they are on hiatus this month. I saw "New York Dolls", "Down to the Bone", and "Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont". They are usually indi films picked up for distribution by Laemmle/Zeller. You are emailed an invitation, and you reply, but you only need an ID (they check) to attend.

Hope this helps

9:26 PM  
Blogger Star Effer said...

bummer i won't be in town for Munich. the trailer looks aMAzing. have a feeling this one might be a contender for a little guy named Oscar. (i'm usually wrong about these things, sorry to Steven Spielberg for the jinx)

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sucks. I will c it though. anywayz, u just need to appear there about one n half hours b4 it starts and just say your name to the people that work there n u get in. Thats da magic word, say your name.

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home