.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Taking my Solo

Way behind schedule, I finally got my completed pages for Hell on Wheels over to Michael Lee this past Monday. That brings us through the end of Act II -- more or less -- around 90 pages in. We both had other things keeping us busy for a while, but I was largely to blame for the long delay. True, even if I had gotten it to him on time, he might not have been on schedule to work on it, but we still would have been much earlier in our timeline, and therefore I take full responsibility.

Why am I saying all of this? Because now it turns out MLee won't be able to work on this until February. He has two other projects that he has deadlines for, and other people that he is responsible to. So we just spoke on the phone to discuss the best way for us to move forward. My ideal was going to be to get the first draft of this done by early Jan, and maybe get a revision done by sometime in February. But if we were to proceed as planned this would never be able to happen.

So we decided to (at least temporarily) stop working together on this script. Luckily, we both recognized that HoW was a lot more my baby than MLee's, so he didn't have a hard time saying goodbye to it. The plan currently is for me to try to push through to the end of this draft -- I'm in the home stretch now -- and then touch base again when I'm ready for rewrites. If he can be involved then, we'll restart the collaboration. If not, I'll just continue as I would with any other script.

And what about credits? Originally, the plan was to simply list the screenplay as "by Joel Haber and Michael Lee Barlin." Well, by the end I will have written 3/4 of the 1st draft, at the very least. So if he does not return for rewrites, we'll revise the credits to "by Joel Haber, story by Joel Haber & Michael Lee Barlin" (MLee definitely helped me a lot in refining my initial story concept). If he gets reinvolved, we'll probably keep the credits as they were originally.

So that's it for now. I'm pushing ahead on Hell on Wheels, ready to take my solo like Eddie Van. Rock on!

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks JD! And don't eat too much of that Ramen, okay? ;-)

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home