.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Scriptwriters Showcase

There's a new writing conference on the block, and it comes to you from my favorite screenwriting magazine, scr(i)pt (okay, I'm biased), and my favorite screenwriting software, Final Draft.

The Scriptwriters Showcase will take place at the Sheraton Universal Studios this coming April 7-9. It is taking a unique approach, offering distinct tracks for Feature Films, TV, Writer Development, and "Other Scriptwriting" (e.g. Video Games and Reality TV). There will also be a trade show, job fair (for paying writing jobs), networking parties, screenings, and meet-and-greets with some of the A-list talent on hand.

I'm not sure what exactly I'll be doing there, but I'm sure I'll be working there in some capacity. I'll also see if I can get some sort of a discount going for my readers, though I'm not sure if that will be feasible, since this is the inaugural outing of this conference. But I'll definitely keep you posted, and I look forward to seeing at least some of you at this event that is sure to be enlightening and exciting!

Tags: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I just got an email on this and was considering it. Might be cool.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, what can you tell a young speaker and entrepreneur like myself about this? I actually emailed them, but haven't heard back...

chris

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me, but can you explain the (i) in Scr(i)pt. I read the mag all the time, but don't see the significance. I'm sure it's something really simple, but I'd rather be a simple fool than an ignorant fool.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Chris -- I'll mention it to them. Who did you send an email to? I'll see what I can find out for you, though.

Embarrassed Dude -- no need to be. I didn't know either, and never really asked, though I always wondered. I'll see if I can get an "official" answer, but the unofficial one I got from another writer had something to do with removing the "I" -- the ego -- from your writing. But don't quote me on that or assume it is definite truth. I'll see what I can find out!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Question: How do they do they know the keynote speaker is "one of the most influential voices" in the business if he/she is yet to be announced? :)

It looks like this could be cool, but you get less than what Screenwriting Expo offers and for twice the cost. Is it worth it?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Shawn -- valid points, and since I'm not organizing, I can't give you MUCH more to go on. But I'll try...

Perhaps they have a number of possibilities and haven't narrowed it down yet. Also, both scr(i)pt and Final Draft have long relationships with many solid a-list screenwriters.

re: is it worth it, I honestly don't know. I hope so, but I can't say, since, as I said, I'm not involved in organizing, and this is the first year it is being held. I'd say that one of the bigger benefits, however, is that this is more of a focused writing conference with more intimate groups and better structure. Plus, with all the other things you pay for at Expo (eg seminars, pitch events if you do them, networking parties, etc), it isn't even close to 1/2 the price.

Still, I understand the question, and will report back as I learn more things about the Showcase!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home