.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

I Have Not Seen King Kong

Truth be told, I'm not really dying to, either. The original never really struck a chord with me, and the only relationship I formed with the 1976 version was playing the board game on Sunday afternoons in the rec room at my local Y. While I'd love to see the effects in Jackson's version, and would be interested in examining it from a technical perspective, it is not a film that I'm running out to see.

However, I did want to point you to two reviews of The King that intrigued me, both focusing on the love story at the core of this film, in one way or another.

Billy Mernit examines the film in terms of what it offers to writers of Romantic Comedies. And for a slightly more cynical take on it, Scott the Reader compares Ann Darrow's effect on the big hairy ape to what happens when a typical guy goes and gets married. Hilarious!

Enjoy!

Tags: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

It's worth seeing for the visual effects alone, but it is emotionally involving as well.

11:13 PM  
Blogger taZ said...

You should check that movie out! The best movie I've seen when dealing with 3D art and as you say "technical perspective".

By the way, I wrote a post recently about the King. Not a review, but thoughts.

PS. All you reading this don't click my name up to the left. Then I'm spamming. And I don't want to do that, understand?!

2:53 AM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I'll see it soon, no amazing rush, but I would like to see it in a theater, with an audience. An audience that behaves, of course.

6:05 AM  
Blogger JimMiller said...

I get it a mixed review on my blog. One qualified thumb up from me. One unqualified thumb down from my wife.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...

...just posted on my blog about my disappointment w/the whole thing ove at milliondollarscreenwriting.com

one post couldn't hold it all...there will be more...

cbs

11:10 AM  
Blogger wcmartell said...

The spider pit scene from the original that was too violent for audiences and cut... present in the 2005 version.

The scene where Kong peels the dress off the leading lady and sniffs her private parts toget her scent that was cut by the Hays Office (censors) when they came to power a couple of yers after the film was released... not even anything like it in the 2005 version.

So in 2005, 1930s violence is okay, but 1930s sex and nudity is too graphic!

- Bill

PS: a great 2 hour movie... that runs 3 hours. I cried a couple of times.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home