.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Follow-Up Blogging

I truly thank you all for your input on that last post. Much obliged.

So here's what I've learned/decided. Basically keep doing what I'm doing, and just accept the lack of comments. Throw in some more short posts occasionally, and try to pose a few more questions in them. Even if I remain a "non-personal" blog, perhaps throw out a few more personal tidbits mixed in (especially if they are about the Arctic Monkeys).

Something else I discovered is that a number of you feel as if you have "nothing to contribute" since you are more beginner than experienced. Well, please don't let that stop you. I mean, hey, if you have no questions, that's fine. But never feel like a question you ask is a "stupid" question. As I always say, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people! ;-) No really, I think the Socratic method is the best way to learn, so ask away. And if you're embarrassed to post 'em, send 'em to me directly. If I think they are too simple, I can respond directly, and if not, I can throw 'em up on the blog. Hell, I'm bound to run out of things to say eventually!

Which also brings me to a different, but related topic. So when I was at Expo last weekend, I was teaching a couple of seminars, as you know. But I also went to one (and would have gone to others, schedule permitting). I also still read various screenwriting books (currently I'm in the middle of Alex Epstein's Crafty Screenwriting). Why? If I teach, write for scr(i)pt mag, etc., shouldn't I be some kind of "expert?" Well, I do believe I have some decent measure of expertise (hopefully), but at the same time, I hope that I'll constantly be striving to learn for the rest of my life. This is how I operate, not just in my writing, but in life in general. It's been said that "life is a journey" and I agree wholeheartedly. So no matter where you are in your writing development, I encourage you to strive to learn more and improve.

And see this recent post at The Thinking Writer for similar advice!

Tags: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Danny Stack said...

the link for the arctic monks didn't work for me.

just bought their ep of 'i bet you look good on the dance floor' and they pack more punch & fun into 3 songs than some bands do in a whole hour.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks Danny. That link shoudl be working now!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Star Effer said...

as a longtime lurker, first time commenter I promise to voice my future opinions and not censure myself.

and on the subject of screenwriting books, continuing ed, etc, I agree with you that one should always strive to learn. the term 'teacher' implies that one has nothing left to learn, which is a fallacy.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Just thought I would let you know that I read the blog (semi)regularly.
Once I think of a good question I'll be sure to ask it! 8)

Keep up the good work.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Fabe, Leif -- thanks for chiming in! Looking forward to hearing more from ya!

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home