.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Dialogue

Now, I know that since this is a screenwriting blog, you probably thought, based on that title, it would be a post about writing good dialogue. Right?

Well, I will talk about that some other time (probably in a post entitled something witty and clever like, "On Dialogue"). But this post is more about the blog in general.

I know lots of you read this (I can see it from StatCounter, BlogPatrol, and SiteMeter, all of which I use for slightly different reasons). I know that some of you are people who just stumble onto the blog accidentally, and it isn't really your cup of Joe(l), and that's cool too. But I also know that a number of you are regular or semi-regular visitors here.

So speak up, will ya? I love reading comments, and I know that some posts get decent numbers of comments. But I also find that my posts get many fewer comments than those of other screenwriting blogs. So it is less a dialogue (as I'd prefer it be) than a monologue in which I feel like I'm lecturing or something.

Now I'm not asking you to just leave a comment for the sake of leaving a comment, and to make me feel better. But I kind of wonder what it is about my posts that seem to elicit fewer responses than others. Am I forceful in my writing, in an overbearing kind of way? Do I not ask enough questions of you? (Here's a few.) I hope the subject matter is interesting. Yes? No?

Regardless, I'd love it if y'all left me comments more regularly, and not just those that let me know you're reading. Although those are cool too. But rather, let's turn this into more of a dialogue. If you're interested, that is!

Thanks.

Tags: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

I like the stories of screenplays you've run across while working as a reader best.

That's my 2 cents.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Justin... It's good to hear somebody from the trenches telling it like it is.
Overbearing? No. But, keep in mind, even though you're not getting a lot of feedback (comments),
you're informing more people than you probably know.

And besides, your blog mutha fuckin' rocks.

- BK

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if they are monologues, I find them extremely interesting! I normally place my index finger on my upper lip and mutter "hmmm, interesting" to myself. But as you can see I don't really have anything useful to add, and if I did it would probably be at the bottom of the River Avon by now (sob!).

p.s. You also blog a lot more frequently than many others. It may be a factor.

Dan

12:52 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks to you all for the comments. I appreciate them, and they make sense. I'll tweak a bit but keep most things as status quo, I guess. Thanks! :-)

1:28 AM  
Blogger Grubber said...

FJ,

Could be a combination of the pro's, or seasoned screenwriters reading and agreeing with your posts.

Then there are people like myself who are trying to soak up all this screenwriting, and writing goodness, like the proverbial sponge(or sea slug) don't feel we have much to contribute(at this stage), so we stay in those nice cool, dark, dank corners, muttering agreement, and basking in the information gleaned, whilst slowly bashing our head against the wall. We whipe the dribble away occassionally as well.

Just a thought.
cheers
Dave.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

FJ, every time I think I have an original thought, I find that you wrote about it months ago on your blog. To save myself further embarrassment of deleting phrases like “here’s something new” or “bet you never thought of this,” I have gone back to the beginning of your blog and read the whole site.

In short, thanks for all the fanfreakintastic posts! Please don’t start charging. I’m guessing you will have a book deal soon.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Danny Stack said...

I've noticed that blogs that get squillions of comments usually offer more personal and quirky posts about themselves (after building a solid readership), while the posts about the industry, or whatever their blog is actually about, will get fewer comments.

For example, someone might say: "went to see the arctic monkeys last night, a little known band but they rock", and lo, the comments race in...

12:37 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Arctic monkeys? I LOVE them!! :-)

FJ, you know I love your blog. Sometimes I comment. Depends on if I've taken my meds that day, so it has nothing to do with content, bro.

Today, I've popped my pills and lo, I have commented.

And your color scheme is easy on the eyes. Pretty.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read all the blogs Craig links to on The Artful Writer, in order, every morning. I don't usually comment on any of them, because I mostly come to have some knowledge dropped. I don't have much knowledge myself. I suppose I feel like a douche sharing my ignorant opinions with people who've been at the business for years. That's pretty much the saem reason I didn't go to the meet-up. But thanks for all the knowledge. Keep dropping it.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FJ, I remember feeling the same way back when I was blogging on blogger. I couldn't buy a comment. Then I moved to WordPress, and my readership and number of comments quickly grew. For some reason it's easier for search engines to find me now, too (which is odd since Blogger is owned by Google).

My experience has been that more personal posts generate more comments and return visitors. People just become more invested. But if that ain't your style, I wouldn't sweat it.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Neal Romanek said...

Dude, you're kicking ass. But you know what I always say when readers don't comment on my posts?

"They'll be sorry. Oh, yes. Mark my words. They'll be very...very...sorry. Heh...heh, heh..."

Yep, that's what I say.

Hope that helped!

3:18 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Well, I'm here - intermittently - and I'm hooked, and I'm reading.
Soaking up the knowledge, getting a feel for things.
And, yes, the colour scheme is easy on the eyes. :)
Keep it up Joel!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks Eleanor! :-)

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home