.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

LA Writer Event

I was going to wait until they got the schedule up (they said August 10, but not yet), but I figured I'd still post about it now, and you can check in yourself. If I find a specific URL for the schedule, I'll update. Anyway...

Last Thursday, I got a postcard in the mail from the UCLA Extension Writers' Program about their upcoming Writers Faire. (Click on "Master Classes, Events [which this is], Awards, and Services" and then "The Writers Faire" under Writers' Program Events.) This is apparently an annual event (though this is the first I've heard of it), will take place on Sunday, September 11th. And best of all, it's free! Sounds pretty cool:

Join us for a festive and enlightening day of free programs on the art and craft of writing -- —and save money on most fall courses. The Writers Faire features mini-classes and panels covering diverse topics in creative writing and screenwriting, hosted by the professional writers who teach for the UCLA Extension Writers' Program. Other Writers Faire highlights include:

  • Register for fall courses and receive a 10-percent discount off most course fees (this day only; excludes advanced and closed courses)
  • Learn about the pros and cons of attending graduate programs in creative writing.
  • Meet and visit with national and community writing organizations and allied businesses

Detailed information about this year'’s Writers Faire, including a schedule of mini-lectures and presenters, will be posted here August 10.

These graduate writing programs, professional organizations, arts collectives, and writing-allied businesses were on hand at last year's Writers Faire.

Antioch University Southern California
Cal Arts
Otis College of Art & Design
USC
Asian American Writers Workshop/Los Angeles
Beyond Baroque
Independent Writers of Southern California
International Black Writers and Artists, Inc.
Organization of Black Screenwriters

PEN USA
Theatre of Hearts/Youth First
UCLA Hammer Museum
West Hollywood Book Fair
World Stage
WriteGirl
Writers Guild of America Foundation
Final Draft
Poets & Writers
The Writers Store


Anyone been to this event in the past? Wanna chime in and fill us in? I hope to go, since it seems pretty cool. And as I said, it's FREE! Let me know if you want to meet up or something.

Tags: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kira Snyder said...

Sounds interesting -- thanks for posting this, Joel!

Although "Writers Faire" sounds like a place where you'd get some jousting and turkey legs with your three-act structure seminars...

6:40 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

LOL. Yeah Kira. Seriously. I was thinking, man, if you can't even spell Fair, do I really want to learn anything from you?!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

I told you I would and here it is: my comment.

Nice meeting you last night. We need to get together for some Guinnessii again soon.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Hey Joel,

This sounds pretty cool. ANd it was good meeting you the other night.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home