.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Fox-y Marketing!

I'm sure this has already been blogged by approximately 3,267,412 people, but I haven't yet seen mention around the Scribosphere. So I figured I'd throw up a Quik-E, er... quickie post about it.

This is friggin' brilliant marketing. (Make sure to check the video too.)

To promote the upcoming Simpsons Movie, a group of 7-eleven stores have been transformed into Kwik-E-Marts! What a brilliant way to spread buzz about the film and get fans and others interested. In addition to the altered store design and layout, there will even be Simpsons-themed food available, including Krusty-O's cereal and a Slurpee that has been renamed WooHoo! Blue Vanilla Squishee.

But beyond the simple "why didn't I think of that?" brilliance of the campaign, there's another reason I respect this marketing so much. The entire cost of the Quik-E-changeover has been borne by 7-eleven! That's right, Fox is not paying a cent for this big marketing bump. I'm sure this will make sense for 7-eleven as well, as I suspect those stores will see a sizable bump in traffic. But still very cool for Fox.

Now, there is one such rebranded store in L.A., at the corner of Sepulveda and Venice. And I'll admit that I was right at that corner this morning and didn't even notice it. I'm sure that's because I was more focused on getting back home after dropping my roommate at the airport than I was interested in staring at the passing sights, even if they would have placed me comfortably in Springfield. So I won't say it was a marketing failure, especially since I'll probably have to make a return trip one of these days, just to lap up the fun (and maybe a Squishee too).

Now I wonder if there is a statue of Apu's god in each store, so I can avoid feeding it a peanut. And maybe a secret garden on the rooftop where I can meet Paul McCartney!

(For a list of Quik-E-Mart locations, go HERE.)

Tags: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Doesn't "The Simpsons Movie" seam like a rip-off to you? It does to me. Don't get me wrong, I think "The Simpsons" is funny, just not as a movie.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

10:32 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Not to me. Why is this more a rip-off than any other TV show turned into a film? Hopefully they will make this bigger and better than any Simpsons episode has ever been. Not sure if they will succeed or not, but I don't see why this should be any worse than any of the others.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the temporary Qwik-E-Marts go, a friend of mine in Burbank lives a two minute walk away from one. "Lines out the door day and night" he says. Parking in the neighborhood is almost gone most of the day.

Indeed, an Indian gentleman that looks very much like Apu runs it (he struck up a conversation the last time I was there). Whatta sport.

Unfortunately, it means my bud won't brave picking me up a box of Krusty-Os or Buzz Cola. And you KNOW they're gonna go for a bunch on eBay -- those "illegal" Duff Beers from Australia go for a bunch nowadays. But screw selling it -- I just want to have them!

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home