.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Hodgepodge (Updates, Follow-ups, etc.)

A bunch of stuff here. First of all, I wanted to follow-up on my last post. Thank you all so much for your feedback on laptops. It was all very helpful. In truth, money trumped all other concerns, and I settled on the cheap crapshoot choice of buying a refurbished quasi-no-name laptop on eBay. But in all honesty, I feel pretty comfortable with what I got, and the price was definitely right, so I believe I got a good deal. And though it didn't come into play that much, I definitely took all of your thoughts into consideration, so thanks.

The bottom line? I got a refurbished NCS Dell-Inspiron-5000-lookalike, Pentium III, 850 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive, 14.1" monitor, Windows XP Pro, CD-RW, WiFi. Price after shipping? $334.96 So I'd say that as long as it lasts me and does the job for a few years, which I honestly suspect it will, I definitely got myself a good enough deal. The only thing I might've wanted that it doesn't have is a DVD, but that's cool. And I can expand the RAM at some point, if I need.

Next, I wanted to update y'all abut the Writer's Arc fellowship. I spoke with Amy Kane yesterday, and she clarified the change that took place. Following their initial 10-week pilot program, they determined that the participants felt they could definitely benefit from a few more weeks in the program, but certainly didn't need a program that was twice as long. So they decided to shorten it from 20 weeks to 16, and made the equivalent reduction in the award money from $10,000 to $7500. Makes sense to me! But I wanted to fill y'all in.

I also wanted to welcome the simians to our midst! John Rogers over at the Kung Fu Monkey recently linked to me, and immediately became my top referrer for the last few days. My monkey's Kung Fu may not be that strong, but I hope it ain't nothin' to spit at either. And please remember one of my favorite comic axioms:

Monkeys are funny. They just are. Period.

I hope you all will stick around and become regular readers.

Lastly, a preview. So Warren over at The Screenwriting Life started something cool about a month and a half ago. "The Scribosphere Group Script Project." A number of screenwriting bloggers have been rotating, adding two pages or so at a time to a collaborative script, with no advance direction. We're just seeing where it takes us. I'm up next, and once I post, I'll try to throw my pages up on here as well. But if you want to read the strange twists and turns the script has gone through so far, check it out HERE.

Okay, I think that sums it up for now. Have a good weekend everyone! :-)

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

So, now you have a laptop you can sit in a coffee shop and write your heart out with the best of them. You must feel like a real screenwriter now :) Sounds like a great deal you got.

With you new found mobility for your writing, you should be able to knock out a script every week ;)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

You kidding me Chris? I knocked out three feature scripts just thinking about the laptop! ;-)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Joel or anyone else have actual experience with Writer's Arc, either in the application process or the program itself? I'm putting the finishing touches on my ten pages for submission on Monday. I'm fairly pleased with it but ,as with all of these things, have the inner critic nagging that I didn't think outside the box enough with the location, characters, and prop. But the dialog is snappy and the plot, for a short scene, seems to move things forward. It sounds like a great program.

(not to be confused with lowercase chris)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Chris --

What you need to realize is that no one other than about 5 people have experience in the program (though they might have applied the first time around). They only ran a pilot program once already, and this is the first full-length time with it. Unfortunately, I have no advice for you on this, never having applied to this or any other fellowship, or contest. Maybe someone else can chime in though!

Good luck.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Oh, and FYI Chris...

There is or used to be a jam band in the midwest named The Big Wu. Any connection with your blog? ;-)

4:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I imagine all Big Woos/Wus probably trace back to where I got it: Joe v. The Volcano. The name of the volcano Joe is hired to jump in, it's a metaphor for doing the thing that you're most afraid of. Like chucking everything and moving to LA to try and write movies. So I'll just send my thing in, good or bad as it may be, and we'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

D'oh! Of course! I should have remembered that! I actually really like that movie, and quote a few lines from it rather frequently. Nice to see you mentioning the Waponi, though! Now go get some orange soda.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home