.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Hey, Yo Rambo!

So, amid the recent news that the nearing-60 Sly is planning both Rocky VI and Rambo IV, I started thinking about this a bit. What is the difference between these two announcements?

To me, a 60-year-old Rocky is much less likely to work than a 60-year-old Rambo. Why? Rocky was built on a premise of realism, whereas Rambo was always hyperreal to begin with. Why else? A guy of any age can pick up a gun and kill somebody, but to be in good enough shape to step into a boxing ring? Not the same thing.

Believe me, I am not suggesting that either film seems likely to succeed, in my book. But I do think there is a difference between them, and not just two examples of an old guy chasing his youthful successes. Just my $.02

Tags: , , , (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

2 Comments:

Blogger William said...

I thought Copland would have been the launching pad for Sly to take some cool character roles for his golden years and bow out gracefully but I guess not. Let it go Sly, just let it go.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Well, clearly, Stallone can pass for 45, which would make it more credible -- George Foreman was out there boxing forever.

Still, it's unclear to me who'd actually want to see that. Unless Rocky trains an attractive young woman, and one them winds up on life support.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home