.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekend Acquisitions

First of all, I seem to be vindicated. As I'm sure you already heard, The Island had some pretty disappointing box office, coming in fourth for the weekend. Always nice to see my words confirmed at the box office!

Also, there were two scripts acquired this weekend which I read at some point. New Line purchased a script I read for them last week, Happy Campers, by Peter Gaulke and Gary Swallow. I can't say much about this project, since the ink is still fresh on the deal, but it is a children's comedy with some good slapstick humor and a bit more heart than the typical.

The other was Quest to Ref (story requires registration), by first time feature writers Ben Watkins and Guy Guillet. It was purchased by Universal, not the company for whom I read the script. When I read it, I gave it a RELUCTANT PASS, meaning it was a good script, but just not right for the company for whom I read it. In part, I described the script as, "A very funny and relatively original script that speaks in support of its authors." The script was a little weak in plot at times, but most importantly worked because it was truly very funny, unlike so many alleged comedies out there. And it treated its characters with dignity and respect, where too many others look down on their comic protagonists. Tone goes a long way in making this a winning script. Glad to see these guys getting their due. It was an enjoyable read, and I'm glad that the "cream rises to the top."

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Fun Joel said...

As far as I know, it originated as a spec (there was no "based on a book..." credit on the screenplay). But this is a little bit less adventure, and more comedy.

I wouldn't be too concerned, to be honest. Write the best script you can, and if it's good, no one will care that it's not based on a novel. As a matter of fact, plenty of family and kids films are not.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hollywood is relying too much on adaptations and remakes, they'll get to your original... keep writing WHL

4:46 AM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Hey, what's the 411 on the blogger ball? You got a count on how many of us are in?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks for asking Shawna! I should have the details by tomorrow, but it probably won't be for a few weeks yet. For better or for worse! ;-)

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home