.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Booked!

Just a brief follow-up to my last post.

Spoke with the producers on Sunday. They really liked the animal bios/research. They also agreed to my new take on the spine of the film. All is good, and we have officially booked my trip.

For those who care about the details (and I share them because it is exciting):
9/25 I fly LA to NYC, and spend a few days there seeing friends and family. 9/30 I leave for South Africa, via Istanbul. I have an 11+ hour layover there, so I'm hoping to be able to head into Istanbul for a few hours and see some stuff. I arrive in Johannesburg on the morning of 10/2. Spend a few days around Jo'burg, and then head up to Botswana around the 6th. We are not going to do 2 safaris in Botswana as originally planned. I was originally going to visit both the Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park. Instead I'll only be going to Okavango, and instead returning to SA and going to Kruger National Park during the second week. Many of you may be familiar with Kruger as the scene of this well-viewed, amazing YouTube video, Battle at Kruger:



Finally, I'll spend a few more days wrapping up in Johannesburg. I leave to fly back on Sunday 10/21, fly to London, transfer, and fly back to LA. Just to give an idea of how far away I'm going, the flight from Jo'burg to London is 11 hours and 5 minutes, and the flight from London to LAX is 11 hours and 15 minutes. It's like I'm going halfway around the world twice! I land on Monday 10/22, and then have the Expo starting on 10/24, with my first seminars on 10/25.

Whew! Quite the journey, but an exciting one.

Additionally, the producers have also asked me to work on something else for them. They have another writer working on a different project. He has written a number of short stories and plays, and he knows the subject matter of his piece quite well, but he has never written a screenplay. So they'd like me to meet with him and try to get him to understand the form a bit more. So that could be an interesting second little gig.

So, now that I have the trip planned, and I realize that I'll be away for almost a full month, I have to maximize the next few weeks before I leave, while also working around the Jewish holidays. So, I'm going to schedule my time, and basically hit four goals: write a new (shorter) draft of the treatment, work with this other writer a bit to teach him screenplay format/style/structure, prep for my Expo seminars, and try to make some money (since I won't be doing much freelancing work while I'm out of town).

Forgive me in advance if posting is a little more sparse, but I'll try to get regular posts up.

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ralphie said...

Wow! What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Enjoy!

8:54 PM  
Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Thanks for the update. Will miss your posts, but when duty calls...

Glad to hear your producers like you, and are giving more opportunites to shine. Looks like all your hard work is starting to pay off. I'd buy ya a beer, but I'm two states north. Would you settle for a "vertual beer?"

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

3:36 AM  
Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

I got nothing to do now. Take me with you. Okay, other than this homework stuff... but I can do it on the fly.

1:35 AM  
Blogger James Moen said...

Great news. Have fun in Botswana but don't get lost in the Kalahari or end up in a mining camp. Keep writing. Check out their Kentucky Fried Chicken, I hear they have a franchise there. Did we export the proper 11 herbs and spices? Or did they make up their own formula? Keep writing. Buy a local trinket. Don't worry about acting like a tourist. Oh, and keep writing. And, most importantly, have fun.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Have a fun trip! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home