.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Go See This Film

I went to a screening last night of a wonderful film, both moving and important. God Grew Tired of Us is a documentary about the Lost Boys of the Sudan, the thousands of young boys who walked across harsh desert to escape Sudanese civil war and genocide, first to Ethiopia, and then back through Sudan to Kenya.

I know this is not the first film to address this topic, and I have not seen the others. But I can tell you that this film is out in theaters now, in a slow platform release, and while the others are probably worthy of attention as well, this one can use the attention now, so it will be seen by even more people. It is well done, explores and reminds us of an important event, and won both the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award at last year's Sundance Film Festival.

What made it even more interesting for me was that just the night before, on Sunday, I was chatting with a man I recently became friendly with. He had an amazing story of his own to tell. He is Ethiopian, and after conscription into the Ethiopian army and 6 years fighting with Eritrea, he finally escaped and walked on foot, by himself, all the way to South Africa and freedom! His journey took him through five different countries on his way between Ethiopia and South Africa, and he had many amazing close calls on the way. Plus he had no passport so he had to sneak across many guarded borders. Eventually, he made his way to Israel, and then to the U.S.

Though his tale was different, it made me think even more about the problems in Africa (of which there are many). We must do what we can to help, including raising our own awareness, and that of others. Seeing this film can be a small start.

If you are in LA, and want to see this film in the next few days, I do have one 2-for-1 pass that they were giving out after the screening. It is good through Thursday this week (1/18), and the film is playing at the Laemmle Sunset 5, on Sunset and Crescent Heights. Just email me if you want the pass, and we can arrange a way to make the exchange. First to ask gets it!

But even without that, I urge you to see this film. It is currently playing in LA and NYC, and this weekend it opens in five more cities, with hopefully more to follow.

Tags: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds interesting...also, so much for the writer's arc. no more web site.

- Allen

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home