.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Time's Up!

The 14-Day Screenplay Challenge has come to an end. I hope my words about writing under pressure were helpful to some of you. And though the Challenge has ended, the challenge continues. So I'll also point you all, albeit late, to David's advice on the subject.

I particularly like his "Egg Timer of Doom" technique. Check it out!

So, who participated? How successful were you in reaching your goals?

Tags: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

No one is more surprised than me that I actually finished within the deadline! I was shooting for 90 pages, and got done in 85. Of course, it's awful, but it's also a very important vindication to me, and proof that I'm on the right path.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Congrats, Lee!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Adam Renfro said...

81 pages. Not done though. Re-entering in the 21 Day Screenplay Loser Challenge.

Hey, but I use “Loser” affectionately, just like Mum and Dad used to.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Lianne said...

I stalled before finishing the first act! Have begun reworking my outline now and will take another run at getting finished within 2 weeks. Fleshing out the outline exposed the fact that I didn't have a subplot, and none of the supporting characters had any real direction, so if had continued it would have been a very short script!

Thanks for the tips though, they did help and I like the sound of David's egg-timer approach. Doubt I could sucessfully adopt it though. Think I have discipline issues.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Optimist --

I actually feel like the Egg Timer of Doom is better for undisciplined people. It means you ONLY have to be disciplined for 20 minutes at a time!

(...unless by saying you have discipline issues you meant of the "Thank you, Mistress" variety. Then you're on your own!)

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another contestant here to re-enter the 21 Day Screenplay Loser Challenge. In my defense... ah, well, who am I kidding? I have no defense.

I got to page 106 of what I've estimated to be a 140 page screenplay. Everything prior is actually alright – surprisingly good for a first draft – but when I got to Act III, some major hurdles came up and I'm now spending a bit of time reworking it from my original plan.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Got 18 pages done. But, man... they were a GREAT 18 pages.

And I really dig my outline. A lot.

So, I'll revisit this project at another time.

I'm thrilled that I even attempted it, seeing as how much writing fiction of ANY KIND scares the bejeebus out of me.

Thank you for lighting my fuse, Joel!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home