.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fun Joel's Screenwriting Blog

(OR EL DUDERINO IF YOU'RE NOT INTO THE WHOLE BREVITY THING)

-- On Screenwriting and Related Topics

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

I moved from NYC to LA in October, 2003. And though I still think NYC is the greatest city in the world, I'm truly loving life here in the City of Angels. I'm a writer, reader, and occasional picture-taker.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Medium-term Goals

I have generally refrained from posting specific goals on here. I resisted the trend towards throwing progress bars up, and I have not mentioned too many of my specific writing deadlines. While I do set them for myself, and also post them periodically to my writing group's email list, that's where they've remained.

However, my screenwriting has been virtually non-existent for the past few months (though I've still done my share of other writing), and I feel that now is an opportune time to post some goals up here, to help me transition back into it. I've begun to get a few other areas of my life in order, and now seems like time to re-kickstart the scripts. These are not immediate term (and probably won't even get started for another week-and-a-half to two weeks anyway), and are also not my long-term career goals. Not even my goals for the year. They're medium-term goals, for the next few months.

One important general goal for me is to get back to writing on a schedule. I don't think that I'm going to return to the 5 AM wake-up-and-work schedule that I maintained for a little while. But at the same time, I need a more regimented writing timetable, in order to avoid prevalent wasting of time.

More specifically, the first draft of Hell on Wheels has been about 15 pages from done for way too long. I'm aiming to get it completed by mid-April, which I think is a fair and completely achievable goal (probably a too small one, in fact), so that I can start gathering feedback on it and think about the changes I want to make (I already have some ideas). I want all that done by the beginning of May, because of the next goal.

In May, I hope to apply for the next round of the Writer's Arc fellowship. Parameters for Round 1 will be announced on May 1st. My hope is that should I get to Round 2, I will have the next draft of HoW done by then (and hopefully also have my D2DVD-type horror script revised as well). Ideally, by then, I'll also be ready to start taking my scripts out and looking for representation. And I can get into planning my next script idea (even if HoW will still need another revision) -- a high concept wedding comedy (my highest concept script, to date), in the vein of My Best Friend's Wedding and Monster-in-Law.

By the way, if any current participants in the Writer's Arc happen to be reading this, I'd love to hear from you.

Okay, so those are my goals for the next 2-3 months. Just putting them out here helps put a drop more pressure on me. Feel free to check in with me periodically to see if I'm sticking to them!

Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kidsis said...

You got it! Congrats on setting the goals!

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I like to do, as far as writing schedules go, is to start off with a 40 min walk. I read somewhere that feeding the brain oxygen can help stimulate your creativity, which is why I started the practice. I have no idea if that's true or not, but what it does for me is to give me 40 min or so of 'alone' time where I can think about the story I'm working. By the time I get back I home, I've got tons of new ideas I'm dying to get down on paper, or ways to rework old ideas.

Certainly it doesn't work every day, sometimes when I get home I'm just as bereft of ideas as when I left, but if nothing else, I at least got some healthy exercise done.

3:46 AM  
Blogger S.Ali Qamar said...

I was looking for the term "Medium Term Career Goals" on Google when I landed on to your page. Although this page does not exaplain straight away what I was looking for but your post was quite interesting and all I have to say here is: Please make your font a bit bigger. Atleast make it a medium term goal, if you know what I mean :-)

Cheers,

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home